Now AA (American Airlines) have gone Bust! by JohnDotCom

JohnDotCom
They are coming bigger and faster now in Aviation, but being Bust under USA protection scheme should mean your Flight will still operate etc as normal. They y haven't cancelled any orders with us (Boeing) so far.

American Airlines Files For Bankruptcy

American Airlines has filed for bankruptcy, its parent company has announced.

AMR Corporation (NYSE: AMR - news) made a voluntary filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganisation, but said it expected to continue operations normally.

American's chairman and chief executive Gerard Arpey also stepped down, and AMR's board of directors named AMR chairman and CEO Thomas Horton as his replacement.

The airline said in a statement: "American took this action in order to achieve a cost and debt structure that is competitive in the airline industry so that it can continue delivering world-class travel experience for its customers."

The airline, which serves 260 cities through an extensive network that reaches 50 countries and territories, said its flights will operate normally.

The company will honour tickets and reservations as usual, and that its code-shares and frequent flyer program are not affected.

"We are committed to maintaining a strong presence in worldwide markets. I am confident American will emerge even stronger as a global leader known for excellence and innovation, a travel partner customers seek out, and a carrier that serves communities throughout the world," said Mr Horton, who will also retain his post as AMR chairman.

"It is a privilege and an honour to lead this company and I intend to do everything in my power to help restore its position of leadership in the global airline industry."

Rumours had swirled for months that AMR would file for bankruptcy protection, after an unusual spike in pilot retirements, with the pilots trying to sell off their own stocks in the company.

Shares in AMR have plunged 35 per cent since the beginning of November (Stuttgart: A0Z24E - news) , leaving the stock at $1.62 before US markets opened Tuesday. At that price, the company has a market value of some $543million.

In July, American Airlines, which with sister American Eagle has a fleet of 900 planes, announced a massive order for aircraft divided between US aerospace (Berlin: N4N.BE - news) giant Boeing (NYSE: BA - news) and European rival Airbus (Paris: NL0000235190 - news) .

American said it would buy 200 Boeing 737s and 260 Airbus A320 jets, both more fuel efficient than the aircraft it currently operates.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 15:25 #1 

podge
A sign of the times John.

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 20:45 #2 

Dave
Still advertising on Dave, as of two minutes ago!

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 22:22 #3 

Ragman
They are still flying, used to use them every week between gatwick and north carolina, cabin service generally indifferent

In economy they really did not care

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 22:31 #4