New Points and Rules on Speeding. by JohnDotCom

JohnDotCom
Under new rules drivers who are caught speeding today will face more penalty points.

From today, under a new road safety initiative by the Road Safety Authority, penalty points for speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, holding a phone while driving and not using child restraints will increase from two to three points.

Under the new rules, there is a new category of driver from today – the new driver or novice driver.

Novice drivers

They will have to display the ‘N’ plate to show that they are a a new driver of the road. It must be displayed on the car for two years after they get a licence.

Also, if you are driver that is in their first two years of driving on the roads already, you will not be required to display an ‘N’. These changes only come into effect from today onwards.

Novice drivers also face disqualification from driving for six months if they clock up seven points, in comparison with a fully-licenced driver where the limit is 12 points.

However, if you were a learner driver before today you will remain on the 12 point limit.

Alcohol

Similar to learner drivers, novice drivers, will be subject to lower alcohol limits and they are not permitted to act as accompanying drivers to learners who requires a fully-licenced driver to be present in the car with them while driving.

The changes, introduced under the Road Traffic Act 2014, means that anyone who does not pay the fixed changes and are convicted in court, their points will increase from four to five points.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 01 Aug 2014, 11:24 #1 

Dave
Interesting!

I know there's been optional "P" sticker that new drivers can use, which IIRC is something that has been obligatory on the Continent for a long while now, but seeing it introduced as mandatory is something I'd not heard of.

Posted 01 Aug 2014, 11:51 #2 

JohnDotCom
Yes in Wales its a "Y" plate for new licence holders, to be displayed on front and back of vehicle I believe, but not read it all yet.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 01 Aug 2014, 13:29 #3 

raistlin
JohnDotCom wrote: penalty points for speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, holding a phone while driving and not using child restraints will increase from two to three points.

As far as I'm aware John it is three points already.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Aug 2014, 13:40 #4 

JohnDotCom
I also thought that, but out of touch, all post is direct from https://uk.news.yahoo.com/drivers-caugh ... ml#P8uFzzP Sorry forgot to put Quotation marks.
John

Posted 01 Aug 2014, 13:48 #5 

Dave
Could be wrong but got a feeling that this is only in Ireland? The link above mentions it's source as "TheJournal.ie" and on Googling, can only find Irish or Australian references! :D

Posted 01 Aug 2014, 14:28 #6 

Dave
Just found this BBC link, which does suggest ROI only..... :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28603515

Posted 01 Aug 2014, 14:28 #7 

Duncan
Well that's Yahoo news for you. They do have a habit of making the Sunday Sport look like serious journalism.

Posted 01 Aug 2014, 16:00 #8 

podge
"As far as I'm aware John it is three points already."
It certainly was in June last year :-(

Posted 02 Aug 2014, 19:16 #9