MOT failure for an hour today by Chartermark

Chartermark
Just had my first MOT failure! Those who have seen my 75 know it has 225/55/17 tyres on Meteor rims. These were fitted 37 months ago and had covered 23K up to this morning, wearing well and probably with at least another year of life left at my annual mileage of about 6k.

Apparently according to the Test Centre the fronts were 'scrubbed' on the inner wall, caused it was suggested when the car was on full lock and touching something inside the wheel arch inner, so they were failed. I immediately had two 'used' smaller tyres fitted a few miles away and got the 'pass' certificate within the hour.

Not liking the tyres now on one bit to facilitate the pass, as I see it, there are now two ways to go viz;

1) Re-fit a new pair of matching 225//55/17's as before, with which I was totally satisfied, especially as they also also acted well as 'kerbing bands' with the 225 profile and high wall.

2) Fit 215/55/17s to the front, as the 10ml difference in width would surely clear the 'supposed' obstruction, causing suggested chafing, but not as preferential as option 1.

In both cases they would relocate to a fresh pair of Meteors from a set of four I had replenished at City Powder Coaters last year. The remaining two making up the set, could then be fitted when the rear tyres need replacement, probably two years down the road from now.

However I'm now very suspicious of the prognosis from the Testers this morning? Having got the old 225/55 casings home and cleaned them off, I can't see any marks, scuffing etc on the inner walls at all, the markings, (if any) may have been merely cosmetic it seems?

Two years ago I was warned that in 2012 my Klaxon would not pass the new MOT regs. I promptly changed tester and it was never mentioned, as was the case with the tyres for the past 3 years!

The conundrums of this fractious world with it's exponential coils of interpretive interference, become ever more capricious it seems as the Nation plunges deeper into both sovereign and personal debt and the collective imagination manifests new ways into one's pocket!

Posted 16 Dec 2013, 23:06 #1 

MrDoodles
Just a thought Martin, as I posted elsewhere, it may be down to the 17" wheels having a different offset to the 18" wheels, which is why MGR specified a 45 profile with the 225 section tyre? :confused:

The cars are designed to take up to a 225/45X 18 tyre from the factory, but the offset is ET35 on the 18's, I'm sorry, but I don't know the offset on the 17's! :(

Posted 17 Dec 2013, 10:20 #2 

Chartermark
Very good point and thank you for your help. I'm going to my friendly dealer today and ask him to put it on the ramp to inspect to see if theres any chafe marks (Carl's suggestion). It was on the offside only apparently, so maybe some inner faring is rubbing on full lock? Perhaps the protector for the coil spring is the cause?

Posted 17 Dec 2013, 10:50 #3 

MrDoodles
Let us know what they find Martin!

Posted 17 Dec 2013, 12:00 #4 

Chartermark
Absolutely nothing - but adjacent to the plastic fairing in o/s inner when on right lock.

Posted 17 Dec 2013, 23:47 #5 

MrDoodles
Chartermark wrote:Absolutely nothing - but adjacent to the plastic fairing in o/s inner when on right lock.

That is strange then!

If there're no rub marks on the inner wheel arch lining, I wouldn't worry about it!

Posted 18 Dec 2013, 07:34 #6 

Jumper
Hi Martin. Liberal rubbings of white chalk on any surface the wheel might come into contact with, followed by a swift run around the block would be a good telltale.

Posted 22 Dec 2013, 16:07 #7 

Chartermark
Jumper wrote:Hi Martin. Liberal rubbings of white chalk on any surface the wheel might come into contact with, followed by a swift run around the block would be a good telltale.

Hello Ray,

Good idea. Two new tyres arrived today and I'll get them fitted after the holidays. I'll chalk up as its done.

Posted 24 Dec 2013, 23:31 #8