Monk's Creativity Thread by Mad-Monkey (Page 1 of 2)

Mad-Monkey
Rather than create a new thread each time I do something or have an idea I'll just post it in here, it's far easier and less clutter!

I know Jule's has posted up some key rings on the other side and I haven't posted these to compete. They were in the pipe line when I was drawing up the emergency key fobs but I doubt I'll release them as key rings anyway, I don't want to tread on toes and I'd rather keep things nice. This is a hobby for me more than a money making exercise so things grind to a halt, then busy along when I have time etc...

Today I finally received a small package of materials for testing out different things, the only thing I didn't order was some aluminium sheet, but I will do, and then some designs done in the aluminium. Dandy I know! :)

I had a software glitch in the Rover file which was prreventing importing the Rover logo, however the MG logo worked a treat and I'll tease you with this. Currently sits 50mm all round and about 3mm thick, or 1/8" in old money.

Made in Walnut and currently untreated with anything. I'm not good with finishes so any help on that would be good.

I've started messing with A.B.S plastic for emergency keys but the finish isn't acceptable yet. No doubt I'll tease you with some photos over the next few days or weeks ;)

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 14:23 #1 

Last edited by Mad-Monkey on 06 Jun 2012, 18:48, edited 2 times in total.

persuer
Looks good though mate, It would be nice to see what's next :)

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 14:26 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Hi David
I would advise you embed a watermark, stating ownership, on any pics you post of your projects. They will get nicked and your ideas used elsewhere

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 14:28 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Cheers Mick! Any ideas on iPad software for doing that as most of the photos would be uploaded from my iPhone or iPad to photobucket? I can get to the PC but the iPhone and iPad makes it a doddle to upload last minute and on the go. :)

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 14:32 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 14:33 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)

Mad-Monkey
Cheers Mick, I could have had a google really :D I'll investigate and alter the image! Thanks :)

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 14:41 #7 

Jürgen
Looks good, David. :thumbsup:

Maybe if they could get a waterproof finish, they would be nice coasters for tea mugs (about 10 cm in diameter).

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 16:32 #8 

Mad-Monkey
Good thought Jürgen! I guess some sort of wax or lacquer would be needed. I'm going to cut a few and test finishes over the next few weeks :)

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 17:58 #9 

Mad-Monkey
All done, took a bit longer than I thought because I wanted to draw a monkey! :D

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 18:48 #10 

Trebor
A nice innovative thread David, keep up the good work and ideas, if you need investment for your ideas maybe this will become a Dragons Den !

I like the walnut btw , would look good in a number of places but just thought a Rover one would look smart on the warning triangle holder as you open the boot maybe, Bentley have embossed leather on their holders so maybe we need something
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 20:06 #11 

Mad-Monkey
I'm reworking the Rover logo as autocad won't export the image nicely! I have something feasible to try tomorrow but its not perfect!

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 20:15 #12 

Mad-Monkey
A little tease...

The mill was a tad large as you can see where some of the detail was lost but I have some on order and more importantly I worked out the import export procedure for file types :) sometimes it doesn't pay to have up to date software as it throws you a curve ball!

Posted 07 Jun 2012, 14:39 #13 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Looking very good David. Your patience is paying off. :)

Posted 07 Jun 2012, 15:14 #14 

Mad-Monkey
New mills came today, and some new walnut, a lighter shade this time. Having spent all morning staring at CAD program's and the likes I thought I'd let the machine have a whirl! It's not perfect, I accidental told it to cut off the shields and there are still a few areas which the detail is too small for the machine. The badge is about 100mm high so no chance of the detail on a key fob!

I can run it through a laser cutter/engraver for better detail. I'll definitely have to do it for for the key fobs so that's on the back burner as I don't have access at the moment.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 16:56 #15 

TyphoonTT
Great samples David. Nice ideas.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 21:31 #16 

Mad-Monkey
Something for the 260's...

Not sure myself but maybe it'll look better when cut! :)

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 08:05 #17 

kandyman
How about one for us Limo owners ;)

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 16:30 #18 

Mad-Monkey
kandyman wrote:How about one for us Limo owners ;)

What would you put on it? Or would you just stretch it a bit :gmc:

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 17:25 #19 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You'd need bigger wood.

Something Andy will appreciate. ;)

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 17:28 #20