LEDs for changing ATC, switches and so on, to white? by Duncan

Duncan
My facelift tourer has the prefacelift orange illumination, and by a twist, my cowley saloon has (or rather had until Sunday) a white facelift pack.

I'll be turning the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) and clock white in the tourer, but what to investigate changing some of the other items to white, such as the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control). I haven't taken one apart yet to look, but I seem to remember they use TOPLeds. Trouble is there seem to be so many versions around now, It might take a lot of messing to get the right ones.

So, has anyone done this already, and if so, what did you use if it worked well.

Posted 07 Oct 2014, 17:31 #1 

Trebor
I think Steve ( Devilish )could be your man for advice here Duncan I may be mistaken but i think he chaged Robs ( Woolleysox ) ATC to blue, he is coming to the nano
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 09 Oct 2014, 19:32 #2 

Mad-Monkey
The part numbers for the blue ones are on either this forum or the enthusiast site as I posted them up from RS. Maybe they'd show you the white equivalent. I can't find the info to hand and searching on tapatalk is a mission.

Posted 10 Oct 2014, 11:08 #3 

Trebor
Saw Steve today Duncan, he did do Robs ATC and had to use resistors, he doesn't post at all very often now but may come on here now i have mentioned it to him, but he said he will bring a spare ATC to the nano and take yours away to do it if you want or if you prefer to do it yourself you can see him at the nano for a chat
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 10 Oct 2014, 15:50 #4 

Devilish
Hiya Duncan, I will do the LED (Light Emitting Diode) colour conversion for you. Do you want the door switches and LSM (Light Switch Module) doing also. I am sure I have an ATC and should have all door switches, and a LSM cover I think. trebor and I almost had the garage and shed upside down today, he could not be bothered to help me tidy up so I have a lot of tidying up to do, well at least I have not had a ransom demand for my Swarfega. I will call you in the morning about acquiring your bits. I would rather swap out and convert your own components, then swap them back again. I have ordered some PLCC-2 3528 SMD's and 220ohm resistors, as I cannot find my resistors and have no white PLCC's. I might have a go at wiring in a inline or surface mount potentiometer for the LCD display SMD's, so you can dim the display at night, same way the LSM dims the instrument panel.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 10 Oct 2014, 22:54 #5 

Duncan
Hi, Steve. Thanks for the offer, but I'm planning to do it myself and I have the tool for removing the old LEDs (desoldering tweezers). I already have the swap out ATC. I was planning to convert half, and then work with resistors to achieve a balance before replacing the rest.

Posted 11 Oct 2014, 08:24 #6 

Devilish
Well you know what leds you need, I piggybacked 4 220 ohm resistors to R28 R29 R30 R31 I think, the value works well.
I spent ages messing around desoldering the row of long pins that hold the LCD panel in place the first time, second time I simply snipped through the pins half way up without moving them, then soldered them back together. Took me less than 60 seconds to remove the second panel.

Posted 11 Oct 2014, 10:16 #7 

Duncan
Thanks, Steve, good tips there.

Posted 11 Oct 2014, 12:40 #8 

Devilish
No doubt you may have your own method, but I found holding the diodes with tweezers awkward. After I tinned all the mounting pads to save loading the iron, to hold the diodes I used a sewing machine needle with a ball of Blue Tac formed on the end to move the diodes, and hold them in place while I soldered one of the feet. I think there are about 45 diodes in the ATC, LSM and door switches. I replaced the amber LCD diffuser with a single sheet cut from a robust clear Tupperware lid (the type with snap down flaps) then hid the rest of the tub in the bin.

Oh and the resistors I piggybacked a 220 to on the ATC PCB (Printed Circuit Board) are R29 R30 R31 R32, I took some pics but I must have put them in a folder in the twilight zone

Posted 16 Oct 2014, 06:17 #9 

Duncan
Thanks Steve. The Tweezers are actually heated, so you use them to heat and lift the component you are removing. I use the same for the EEPROMS in the IPK. I then remove the solder from all but one pad using desolder wick. I place the component and reflow the one pad with solder left on, then use fresh solder to do the other pin(s) before redoing the first pin with a touch of fresh solder.

For the resistors, I'll replace them. For the IPK LCD, there are two in parallel for each pair of LEDs. With the LEDs I've bought, I experimented, and need around 3k total, so two 5k6 or 6k8 (I'll experiment when they arrive).

I haven't checked if the diffuser in the IPK is coloured, but if it is I expect it to be quite thin. For the ATC that sounds like a good tip.

Posted 16 Oct 2014, 07:20 #10