Laundry lighting by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
In the near future, I'm going to be making our laundry room more homely by battening, plasterboarding and skimming. It is bare brickwork at the moment, an ideal time to consider first fixings. I'll be using 25mm battens and 12.5mm plasterboard so up to 37mm depth available.

My concern is lighting. There isn't much headroom so ceiling lights to be avoided unless very shallow, unless fitted at the edges in such a way as to provide sufficient light for the room. In addition the ceiling is a slab of steel reinforced concrete so downlighters are out as well.

One possibility is to use fluorescent strip lights on the three out of four walls after the plastering is finished. I don't think that will look particularly good though and I'm not sure whether there would be sufficient light.

I'd prefer to use LED (Light Emitting Diode) lighting if possible but I'm short of ideas.

Any inspiration gratefully accepted - thanks :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 May 2013, 13:44 #1 

Trebor
Paul,

Is it possible to fit battens and plasterboard to the ceiling to create a gap for the wiring and some shallow sunken lights or would that reduce your headroom even more ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 25 May 2013, 14:00 #2 

raistlin
There's only about 60mm head room Rob :(
Paul

Posted 25 May 2013, 15:00 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I'd go for LED spots in at least three ceiling/wall corners, thus eliminating shadows. Should be out of your way there too.

Posted 25 May 2013, 15:04 #4 

raistlin
That seems like the best idea. Thanks Mick :)
Paul

Posted 26 May 2013, 09:00 #5