Is this a reasonable price? by Zeb

Zeb
I have been asked to build a replacement top part of a well...circular brick lower then wooden posts running up to the winder (which I will refurbish) and then a wooden roof which will be done with bitumen 'tiles' and the whole thing painted. All fully installed and the old, rotted bits taken away...
Here is the thing. The wood, paint, fixings and tiles will cost just under £100 and the labour - in effect two days worth - £140. But but but £240 just seems an awful lot of money to me? Or am I just out of touch?

Posted 23 May 2011, 17:37 #1 

PaulT
Seems very reasonable to me. Labour less than £10 per hour.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 May 2011, 17:59 #2 

kandyman
Sounds cheap to me,

2 days labour is about £140 per day and the materials would be plus 30% mark up so it should be nearer the £450.

This is if a company was doing the works.

Posted 23 May 2011, 18:03 #3 

Dave
Tbh, sounds like a bargain!

Can you come and get rid of our asbestos garage for us?!

Posted 23 May 2011, 18:04 #4 

Bernard
Shame you are not near here, I could find you loads of work at that price.
Not necessarily well heads though. ;)
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 23 May 2011, 18:08 #5 

JohnDotCom
Miles to cheap my friend.
Minimum you would get charged is around the £20 PH mark so looking at around £320 for labour.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 May 2011, 18:09 #6 

Martin
Always bear in mind that this price may well be given to other parties and you could well be stuck with this rate for future work.
Pricing a job is VERY subjective a QS may see the job as £500 given your time petrol and mark up on your materials (overheads and profit I think are running at 12.5 percent)
However a chap who is shy of graft may well take it on for less just to get £'s in the bank.
Make sure YOU are happy with the money and it represents value to you and them...a satisfied customer means more work from them and a pass on of there good fortunes to others, and more work will come ....if you want it :thumbsup:
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 23 May 2011, 18:47 #7 

Tourerfogey
Never undervalue your skills. If you can do a good job then charge the going rate for it.

Posted 23 May 2011, 19:38 #8 

Zeb
Thanks for all the advice chaps...thing is, I do not know what the going rate is for this sort of stuff over here...(everything is a bit cheaper in cabbage land see..:D) But, on the plus side,I now know I am not overcharging them and I can be fairly certain it will result in further work...:D

Posted 23 May 2011, 19:51 #9 

Zeb
Dave wrote:Tbh, sounds like a bargain!

Can you come and get rid of our asbestos garage for us?!

That'd be white asbestos rather than the pretty blue stuff I take it? :D

Posted 23 May 2011, 19:52 #10 

Zeb
Bernard wrote:Shame you are not near here, I could find you loads of work at that price.
Not necessarily well heads though. ;)

I will travel....I have done little jobs on the other side of the country before now Bernard. :)

Posted 23 May 2011, 19:54 #11 

JohnDotCom
Any good at flat roofs Zeb? Water is pissing through kitchen roof tonight. Dodo not a happy person.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 May 2011, 21:25 #12 

Zeb
JohnDotCom wrote:Any good at flat roofs Zeb? Water is pissing through kitchen roof tonight. Dodo not a happy person.

Oh dear.. :( Yes, I can do flat roofs...best thing to do with them is to build a proper sloping roof on top of them...

Posted 23 May 2011, 21:49 #13 

Dave
Zeb wrote:That'd be white asbestos rather than the pretty blue stuff I take it? :D

Well, it looks white (grey), not blue, so I guess it's not the latter - bet ours is the more dangerous one... :-(

Oh, and we'll take a flat roof too please! ;-)

Posted 24 May 2011, 06:32 #14 

Bermudan 75
If it is white/grey corrugated asbestos sheeting,this is classified as low to medium risk. I understand that you could eat asbestos and it will not cause you any great harm. The health risk with asbestos is breathing in the fibres/dust. Many people are unaware that many toilet cisterns were manufactured using asbestos, those old brown/ black ones.

Posted 24 May 2011, 14:45 #15 

Dave
It is indeed white/grey corrugated (ugly) but I'll pass on eating it!

Need to be rid of it!

Posted 24 May 2011, 17:17 #16