Household standard lamp fitting by Dave

Dave
We've had one go off pop!

It's a lamp that often is the only one on in the summer evenings, and probably attracts moths and the like, and it seems on investigation that there's a fair few got into it, probably then got it hot and boom! (although oddly the bulb was fine!)

Anyway, wanting to fix the lamp, took it apart a bit and found that it was not as expected, and pushes together as opposed to being a screw in fitting. I've no idea where to get a replacement, or what it's called to Google it :( Anyone able to advise based on this photo? (ta!)

Posted 17 Jan 2016, 22:07 #1 

Borg Warner

Posted 17 Jan 2016, 23:22 #2 

Dave
Thanks Gary

Looking at those on the link, I can't see any that look like a direct replacement for the one we have (push together as opposed to screw together). I don't really want to replace the whole thing, as only the top bit (the bit on a skew) is knackered! I know that if I have to replace the bottom bit too, then when it all goes back together it'll be on the wonk or all floppy or both! :(

Posted 18 Jan 2016, 19:04 #3 

PaulT
I would have thought that the bottom bit screws on and has the standard thread - a lot cheaper for a manufactrer to use a standard part than have something as simple as a bulb holder specially made.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 18 Jan 2016, 19:40 #4 

Dave
The goldy bit screws on to the stem, but the black skew-if bit doesn't screw into that! :(

Annoying as every other lamp holder I've ever come across, each bit screws into each other bit. Why do things always have to be a pain?!

Posted 18 Jan 2016, 22:05 #5 

Borg Warner
Let me guess

Get it from IKEA?

Gary M

Posted 18 Jan 2016, 22:31 #6 

Dave
Can't remember for sure... Think it was BHS, but deffo not IKEA! :D

Posted 18 Jan 2016, 22:42 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Dave change the whole section for one of these below
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRONZED-LAMP- ... K3j21dz6Vg
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 18 Jan 2016, 23:58 #8 

Dave
I'd rather replace just the wonky broken bit, to avoid the whole thing becoming a mess, but as this part doesn't seem to exist, I think I may indeed have to replace the whole section! :(

Posted 19 Jan 2016, 11:25 #9 

takestock
Do you not remove the gold bit and purchase a threaded unit in its entirety?
(look at options loop 10mm or hook 1/2" )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lamp-Bulb-Hol ... t0tvHrICJQ
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 19 Jan 2016, 15:00 #10 

Dave
Yup, looks like a complete new one is probably on the cards - I'd prefer to stick with plastic though as the metal ones always worry me!

Posted 19 Jan 2016, 15:46 #11 

Duncan
If you replaced it with a metal one you would need to ensure the metal lamp holder is earthed. The wire is probably 2 core right now.

Posted 19 Jan 2016, 20:33 #12 

Dave
Pretty sure it is and that would indeed be the worry! :D

Posted 19 Jan 2016, 21:39 #13 

Dave
Update on this!

Got a replacement bulb holder from Homebase, with the intention of swapping the whole thing over, but was thwarted as the remaining part of the old one wouldn't give up it's grip on the base. However, although the old one was a push fit and the new one a screw fit, it actually gripped pretty well with a mix'n'match set up.

This was until yesterday, when I came to switch it on, with the push/push switch just below the bulb, and the damn thing blew up almost in my face! :shock: Glass everywhere, and an ever so slightly cut right ear, which apparently stayed bright red for the rest of the evening!

To be fair, I'm 100% certain that this wasn't down to a bad holder or bad workmanship on my part. The fit was very snug, and examining the wiring afterwards, it was still securely in place and, unlike the first time which led to the replacement, there was no sign at all of any burning/scorching. I'm sure that it was simply a dodgy bulb, but nevertheless, scary!

Posted 21 Feb 2016, 19:30 #14