Fitting memory seats by PaulT

PaulT
Think I have read somewhere that this is possible......

Is it possible and what is required to fit memory seats in to a car that was not fitted with them - thinking about in to a Connie.

Looking to change the car and would prefer a Connie SE but thinking what if a good car comes up that is 'just' a Connie.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 May 2011, 08:06 #1 

Duncan
It's possible on any car. However the level of difficulty varies.

It basically depends if the wiring is there already. If the car has electric seats already it will be. If not, it may not.

If it has the wiring, it should be a straightforward swap of the seats, though I haven't done one to be sure. It can be done if the wrining is not there but takes more work.

Converting electric to memory seats sounds like it should be easy, but in fact isn't. The motors are different, as is the wiring is different since the motors connect to an ECU (Engine Control Unit) instead of direct to the switches. The switch packs are also different though they look the same.

Posted 10 May 2011, 12:32 #2 

PaulT
Thanks for that Duncan....

Do I assume that if the car already has electric non memory seats then getting a set of memory seats, the switches and the ECU then it should be possible? Or is the loom likely not to have the correct wiring?

Paul
Paul

Posted 10 May 2011, 12:38 #3 

Duncan
As far as I know, the extra wiring in the car is already there if the wiring is there at all.

However I can't confirm that 100% as I've not checked all variations. It should be easy to check though: I can tell you what wires to look for in the drivers seat connection to confirm.

If the car wiring is there, the replacement memory seats should just plug in and work by unbolting and replacing. You could replace the covers and foams, but that takes a while, it depends on what you buy and it's condition. Facelift covers are easier to remove and refit than earlier ones with the hard backs.

Posted 10 May 2011, 12:43 #4 

PaulT
I was thinking of using the metal parts of the memory seats and fitting the foams and covers from the ones that would be in the car. Have replaced the foam in the base of my current seat so not too worried about doing that.
Paul

Posted 10 May 2011, 13:10 #5 

Duncan
OK, that ought to work fine.

You need to check in the car on the drivers side that the black round pin connector has extra wires on the car side. Pin 6 a thin white red yellow, pin 7 a thin black / grey pin 5 a thin brown / pink. There should also be an orange green pin 8 and an orange yellow pin 4, only one of which is used on non memory seats, plus an orange white pin 2, and a yellow pin 1 which will be used. Finally the main earth, a black on pin 3 is used on both.

Posted 10 May 2011, 18:35 #6