Fan Resistor Upgrade by Arctic (Page 2 of 4)

takestock
Hi Artic,

Reality Check:

From what you have said it is highly likely your fan has failed. It is a 2 to 3 hour job the first time.
Having looked at your how to's you will have no trouble completing this task. It is just nuts and bolts

If you get yourself a fan before the next international nano meet I will guide you through it and do it with you. ( assuming your there )

Best/easiest way forward is a two speed with a resistor, plug and play, however, I have also fitted the kenlowe kit for members, it's a little more work but again you will not have a problem.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 19 May 2011, 11:52 #21 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Dave
You have a PM cheers steve
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 May 2011, 02:12 #22 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi
Just thought i would ad a couple of videos i made with the engine running while i was testing the low speed fan to see if it was working or not, if you listen carefully you can hear the engine change tune i think this is the aircon pump kicking in what do you think all opinons appreciated. Listen for the change around 1.31mins of video.
http://youtu.be/D6tbWm2fYyQ

This second video shows both inside and out side when the engine is running in the same process.
http://youtu.be/k5Qw13Wo0Nc
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 21 May 2011, 23:52 #23 

takestock
Pretty certain the cooling fan has gone, its not running on the video even though demist is selected and the change in engine noise will be the compressor cicking in.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 May 2011, 06:21 #24 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Dave.
Yes thought as much i have sent a PM to Jules but he is having a break so i will wait for him to answer or i may in the mean time try and purchase a kenlowe from the direct company just need to know which size 16" 17" etc.
http://www.kenlowe.com/fans/consumers/orderep.html
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 22 May 2011, 10:13 #25 

MrB
I would wait for Jules as his comes pre-modified ready to fit straight in.

He also supplies comprehensive fitting instructions for the wiring etc which certainly helped me with mine.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 22 May 2011, 11:28 #26 

PaulT
If buying direct from Kenlowe they know all about the mod from Keith and may offer without the control gear - thermostat etc. You do not require these and hence a reduction in price.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 22 May 2011, 12:24 #27 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Dave
Pm sent please take a look for me and give your opinons appreciated Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 May 2011, 21:38 #28 

takestock
Replied Steve ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 May 2011, 06:11 #29 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Dave.
Hooray the fan arrived i just need to test that it is ok and replce the silver resistor with the gold upgrade hope you are enjoying your break

Hi

Some of you may know i have checked my fan and found that it does not work on the low speed and that i have the old 3 speed fan. I have now managed to secure a 2 speed fan with silver resistor, what is now my next step apart from fitting it, should i change the resistor to the upgrade gold one, also do i need or can i test this fan without fitting first. Photos of said item below.

Note how the resistor is hidden behind the fan.

Note wire that have been cut would i need to join or replace these in any way.

close up of the wires

close up of resistor behind the fan

in this pic you can see that a Green/Yellow wire as been cut very close, also a Green ? and a thicker brown wire ?

Do i also have to adapt these fixing hole to help fit the new fan more easly.

Any help from members whom have done this mod would be so appreciated. Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 13:35 #30 

JohnDotCom
IMHO replace the Resistor and fix it (heatsink) to something that can dissipate the heat.
Tying it to cables is madness. :confused:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 14:53 #31 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Johndotcom
I will be fixing it to the luggs provided i have only just got this fan to replace my 3 speed, also i have yet to test it while off the car am at moment charging a spare battery to do this but need to find which wires i use this is what is inside the black box.

Black & Red wire to motor

Red to a Brown which goes no where ?

then we have this spaghetti
Where do i start as you can see two black wires are not in use and have been cut also the little thin wires Green/Yellow and thin green

Do i need to hook up the red and black coming from the motor to the battery terminals ?
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 16:02 #32 

Last edited by Arctic on 09 Jun 2011, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
I haven't done the mod, but can add a few notes:

1. It looks like the resistor has corroded and the fixings fallen off. It needs to be fixed in the airflow from the fan itself, not tucked away like it is currently, as it will overheat and fail like it probably already has. There are some lugs on the fan housing, I'd use these as they are designed for it.

2. You need to be sure the black box is the right one for a diesel, and it doesn't look it though I'm not sure. The PCB (Printed Circuit Board) for the diesel one will have some actual electronics on it, whereas the petrols are just relays. However as I've not opened one up I can't be at all sure.

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 17:55 #33 

Duncan
And another couple of things.
I think someone has been playing with this, as the control box has the date 2002 inside which I think is way before two speed fans with a resistor. Anyone care to comment? It struck me as odd that the third relay is inside the box, unused.

The colours don't correspond properly to the wiring diagrams I have, though they still show the three speed fan. From what I can work out, the two thick black wires are the +12v input. The brown on the fan is earth. Then there will need to be some other wires connected to switch the relays on, though difficult to say which as I can't match them to my diagrams. If it is for a diesel, this won't work anyway as it needs a square wave from the engine ECU (Engine Control Unit) to drive it.

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 18:08 #34 

JohnDotCom
Had a look earlier at box pictures (2005 diesel)and it looks nothing like your box.
I will try to copy them across and post up box internals for diesel.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 19:00 #35 

Duncan
OK, thought about it again, and I'm pretty sure that's from a petrol.

The two big thick black are main power supply.

The other two thick wires coming out of the box are low and hi outputs, the medium speed relay is disconnected from it's relay.

The big brown on the fan is ground.

To run the fan, you need to connect the thin wires to ground. Each wire is for low medium or high, though no idea which is which as the colours don't match.

I have to say, the wiring of the fan itself is suspicious, I would have expecte black to brown, not red to brown. This fan might actually run the wrong way as wired.

All of this is pretty irrelevant as if I'm right, the control box is no good for your car. However you should be able to connect that fan to your existing control box to make it work. Photo's of the inside of a diesel one would help confirm what connects to what.

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 19:29 #36 

JohnDotCom
I think someone has wired it using domestic 240v colours without knowing what they were doing possibly.
John

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 20:57 #37 

Duncan
JohnDotCom wrote:I think someone has wired it using domestic 240v colours without knowing what they were doing possibly.

Maybe, but the terminations look too good for that.The wiring diagrams only cover the colours to the main plug, the supplier might use those anyway on the fans. If I get chance, I have a dead 3 speed fan from a V6 in the garage, under the other shixx sorry stuff.

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 21:19 #38 

JohnDotCom
Yes I also have a box like that to Duncan.
John

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 21:38 #39 

Duncan
Box? I have a whole garage and loft. And office. And some of the kitchen. And the boot of the saloon.

Oh, and some of the drawers and cupboards in the utility room.

Yes, I do get grief about it, but nowhere near as much as I deserve.

Posted 09 Jun 2011, 21:57 #40