Fan Bearing Replacement by humphshumphs

humphshumphs
Hi Guys,
Does anyone have any pointers as to how I can replace the bearing at the front of the fan motor. I have to replace the brushes as the slow & possibly medium speeds have stopped, and have noticed that the bearing is very notchy, so want to replace it.

I have taken the unit apart and removed the fan, but for the life of me, cannot work out how to get the armature out (coz of the fan fixing) so I can knock out the bearing and replace it.

Help :-D
Richard

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 19:36 #1 

Duncan
Never come across a front bearing faulty, but it will feel bad with the backplate off as there's no rear bearing.

I did have one fan motor I came across where the magnet had been damaged and this made it very sticky.

I can't see any way to replace the front bearing as I think the fan drive plate is a friction press fit with a big machine.

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 20:04 #2 

humphshumphs
Hi Duncan,

Thanks for that. The bearing 'feels' as if it's got flat spots on it, so really don't want to use this if I can help it.

Looks like I going to have to find another fan motor with a 'good' bearing.
Richard

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 20:22 #3 

Duncan
Did it feel like that before you took the backplate off? If so it's more likely the brushes as they pass over the gaps in the commutator. Try a temporary refit of the backplate with no brushes fitted and see if it still feels bad.

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 20:29 #4 

humphshumphs
It wasn't as bad, but still felt as if the bearing had flat spots. More investigation needed to see if I can change the bearing...... Bigger tools needed me thinks.
Richard

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 20:35 #5