Engineering Courses by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
Is there anywhere that does short courses on metal work? In particular using lathes and mills? I'd quite like to do one but does anywhere do them? Unfortunately I'm not too flexible on time working till 630 everyday but I'm hoping!

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 09:22 #1 

Bermudan 75
Have you tried your local technical colleges David?

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 17:45 #2 

MrDoodles
I did a 5 year Gas Turbine Technician Apprenticeship with Ruston Gas Turbines and always wish that I had the space for a workshop with a lathe and a vertical mill! :cry:

There's not a lot you can't make if you have one! ;)

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 18:40 #3 

Duncan
I found a couple of courses, but they are the best part of a thousand pounds each! No wonder Engineering skills are reducing.

Not sure what to suggest, unless you can find yourself someone willing to give you some 1-1 hands on.

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 19:40 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Tried the colleges, no joy, it all seems to be plastering, welding, and brick laying! I'll struggle I think to find anyone who can spend some time with me 1-1. Most people who have lathes want me to give them the work!

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 20:11 #5 

MrDoodles
As there is no longer a manufacturing base in this Country, you may struggle! :(

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 20:13 #6 

MN190
Probably the same ones as Duncan mentioned
http://birmingham.floodlight.co.uk/birm ... omain.html

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 22:06 #7 

Mad-Monkey
Pricey!

Oops looks like I've posted this in the welcome section by accident! Feel free to move it!

Posted 30 Aug 2012, 06:23 #8 

Duncan
MrDoodles wrote:As there is no longer a manufacturing base in this Country, you may struggle! :(

Oh. I guess the manufacturing company where I work must be a figment of my overimaginative mind then? And all of the manufacturing companies in the UK that supply us?

OK, so it's not what it used to be but it is way more extensive than many doom merchants would have us believe.

Posted 30 Aug 2012, 07:02 #9 

Bernard
How about a model engineering course?

Hmm, just looked at our local facility for this and a thousand pounds looks to be a bargain. :shock:

http://www.emagister.co.uk/part_time_mo ... 274162.htm
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 30 Aug 2012, 07:38 #10 

Mad-Monkey
Bernard wrote:How about a model engineering course?

Hmm, just looked at our local facility for this and a thousand pounds looks to be a bargain. :shock:

http://www.emagister.co.uk/part_time_mo ... 274162.htm

That might be £84 looking further down. Maybe a decimal point In the wrong place or missed off. I'll email and find out :) thanks :)

Posted 30 Aug 2012, 13:42 #11 

Bernard
Monk wrote:That might be £84 looking further down. Maybe a decimal point In the wrong place or missed off. I'll email and find out :) thanks :)

That would be a bargain if so. I must admit that I saw the headline and no more.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 30 Aug 2012, 17:42 #12 

Mad-Monkey
Hmm seems to be out of date, the course isn't offered anymore :(

Posted 31 Aug 2012, 12:23 #13 

Mad-Monkey
Just bought this as a guide to see what is involved :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Engineeri ... 1854861522

Posted 31 Aug 2012, 12:28 #14 

Mad-Monkey
Still not found anything, well actually I have but it involves a week in Devon which is impossible at the moment. I have fond these videos though from MIT

http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/172-machine-shop-10

Really good for the beginner. Found them on a model engineering website.

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 12:45 #15 

Chartermark
Duncan wrote:
MrDoodles wrote:As there is no longer a manufacturing base in this Country, you may struggle! :(

Oh. I guess the manufacturing company where I work must be a figment of my overimaginative mind then? And all of the manufacturing companies in the UK that supply us?

OK, so it's not what it used to be but it is way more extensive than many doom merchants would have us believe.

Not surprisingly all developed economies have experienced a reduction in the contribution of manufacturing v’s GDP in the past forty years. However the UK’s spectacular decline beats everyone else’s for sure. Pre 1979, manufacturing accounted for 28 per cent of UK GDP. By 2007, just 14 per cent could be attributed to mass production.

Investment now in industrial infrastructure, will be unlikely to yield a return for a decade or more, far too long a term within the UK's short sighted portfolio scenario. Here results are not judged in the longer term view of such places as Germany, who are almost double our figure. Not surprisingly China (a planned Economy) has the highest ratio worldwide, at 32% (slowing). However many bets can be won when asking this question, as most presume it to be at least double that figure.

UK management, and attitude to manufacturing development, has a shameful record, where once our companies were many and creativity was the procreator of fabrication. The real culprits are of course the Banks, who currently are more interested in re-inventing their mutilated balance sheets than endowing industry with it's life blood - cash.

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 18:44 #16