Emails by Gate Keeper

Gate Keeper
Mick maybe you or someone else can help please.

I am up to about 14,000 emails and have almost 6,000 of them unread not including junk. Is there a programme for mac osx I can use to help sort this lot out?
All the best

Phil

Posted 14 Jun 2013, 14:44 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Mail handles your mail adequately.
Make some new mailboxes then set some rules to filter emails into them. If you want to mark them all read, select all then Menu Bar/Message/Mark/Mark as Read.
Sorting will help too, use the From, Too, Subject etc. options at the top of the mailbox window.

Rule of thumb, if an email is more than 3 months old you probably don't need it. Trash is your friend. You won't lose anything in Trash unless you go in there and delete again.

Hope this helps.

Posted 14 Jun 2013, 17:29 #2 

Duncan
An alternative is to use Microsoft Outlook. Every so often it will have a hissy fit and delete everything for you, seemingly at random. I was wondering how to clean up my mail server, and upgrading Outlook sorted the problem for me!

(Just in case, this isn't a serious suggestion).

Posted 14 Jun 2013, 19:37 #3 

Gate Keeper
Thanks guys. Good insight into the problem. I should add that the 14000 emails that are in the inbox, have been there since I started on the net back in 1997, so not too many really. Clearly they are destined for the trash. I just need to get organised with the folders :) and outlook. Thanks Duncan and Mick.
All the best

Phil

Posted 14 Jun 2013, 21:55 #4