ECU replacement from a donor car by John T

John T
Hi folks
I have done a search and cannot find an answer for my query so.....

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to replace the ecu in a 54 plate Rover 75 classic with one from a 51 plate Rover 75 club tourer, and what other parts i might need to swap over to make it work.

Thanks in advance

John T

Posted 21 Nov 2015, 17:25 #1 

Duncan
I assume you mean engine ECU (Engine Control Unit)?

Its not a straightforward swap, as the engine ECU has to match the immobiliser and key transponders. As far as I know you can't simply use the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) to do the swap, but I'd expect there are people around with the tools to sort it out.

The other thing to bear in mind is that depending on what engine variant you have, some of the newer ones have extra sensors. Example the diesels have a post intercooler air temperature sensor, later V6s have a post catalyst lambda probe as well as the two precept ones.

In summary, not just plug in and go.

Posted 22 Nov 2015, 12:07 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Duncan.
I think Phil T4 and Marina Brian maybe able to help the OP, I an not sure if one or both are members here or not, Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 19 Dec 2015, 12:58 #3 

PaulT
Seen a number of breakers selling on eBay selling the ECU with the LSM (Light Switch Module), immobiliser etc seemingly as a car kit.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 19 Dec 2015, 17:41 #4 

ceedy
I have had my older MK1 ECU reflashed with the firmware from a later one, to add full OBD (On Board Diagnostics) comapatibilty and also to add the Air temp sensor in the intercooler , all with the ECU still in the car .
Although if the Sensor is missing all you get is recorded error codes, I added the sensor later , and had no dash lights coming on.
But it still had the original matching LSM etc
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 20 Dec 2015, 09:22 #5