Coach Bolts without the Square by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
Is it possible to get coach bolts or anything similar without the square cup? Roofing bolts are good but then I want a plain head as per a coach bolt. Google shows nothing, but then I maybe searching wrong.

I want to mount some wood gears to a wood panel and use the bolt as the shaft. The square cup would stop the gear rotating unless I drilled out enough clearance. The plain head is needed for looks and safety so there are no unnecessary edges.

Posted 13 Oct 2014, 09:52 #1 

ceedy
Reckon All "Coach bolts/screws have the square to prevent rotation
Pan heads are about the nearest but you would have to have a slot in the head on these.
Dome heads tend to have an allen key hole .

if you are after the plain dome look , maybe some Mirror fixing bolts with the screw in dome cover ? if there are such things

Maybe just a bolt and http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p70610?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&mkwid=a7cdNf6d&pcrid=46331200223&gclid=CJbLgu-9qcECFenHtAodrmUAmQ seem to be one size?

Or file off most of the square from a coach bolt and then finish off in a Drill ?? maybe ;)

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 13 Oct 2014, 11:12 #2 

sewerman
how about domed headed bolts and all thread? you could use nylock domes for security and cut the thread to suit.

Or if they are small diameter and length pan head machine screws ( would have a slot or philips head in the top though)
Royal Blue Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Posted 13 Oct 2014, 18:16 #3 

Trebor
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 13 Oct 2014, 21:46 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
pan heads are the best or nearest you will get I think what size though ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/87590-Machine ... 5411f2cd3b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prof-Oval-Hea ... 5b03793a3d
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 14 Oct 2014, 01:02 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Thanks for the ideas chaps, the oval security bolts are the closest to what I need but I need a larger head. Having gone to a few hardware shops I think the coach bolts are going to have to do, I'll drill out some clearance on the gear so it can rotate.

It can't have anything loose or bits that will come off, so the mirror covers won't do it, and I can't have any edges unless they are smoothed out. I guess my idea was a bit too specific :)

Posted 14 Oct 2014, 18:58 #6 

Mad-Monkey
Sorry for the late reply too! I've been having trouble with tapatalk replying! :(

Posted 14 Oct 2014, 18:59 #7 

Devilish
A mate of mine has a lathe, I could cut the corners off some for you.

Or grind the corners off with the bench grinder.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 16 Oct 2014, 06:46 #8 

Mad-Monkey
That's a great idea. Thanks Steve I have a grinder so will give it a bash, if it goes horribly wrong I'll take you up on your offer with the lathe! Thanks :-)

Posted 16 Oct 2014, 07:52 #9 

ceedy
Just file off the corners by hand, then pop in a drill and then clean up with a file and some emery paper if you need too
easy peasy .

Bench grinder too as mentioned before.. just off with the corners then let it rotate slowly in the fingers to finish off .

or I've got a lathe too.. :em: but long way away .

:gmc:

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 18 Oct 2014, 09:10 #10