Chrome plating the front grille. by raistlin

raistlin
I've seen a fully chromed grille on a 75 and it looked magnificent. Unfortunately, apart form one which I narrowly missed, those I've seen for sale are either ridiculously priced, not in good condition, or both.

I wondered whether it is possible to get a standard grille re-chromed and if so, how much it would cost and how good it would look compared to OEM.

Any ideas please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 12:49 #1 

Mad-Monkey
Is the original grill metal? A powder coater should be able to do it if its metal.

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 15:27 #2 

raistlin
I think, certainly the vertical struts, are plastic David.
Paul

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 16:06 #3 

Trebor
I went down this route with my Mk 2 grille Paul and its possible if the plastic is marked ABS (Antilock Braking System) but expensive and cheaper to buy one already chromed which are on bay from around £20 used to £80 new but they do look nice so go on treat Veekay, you know you want to !

By the way not the ABS the automatic wotsit has put on here obviously
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 16:09 #4 

raistlin
I want a chrome grill Rob but honestly some of the prices and some of the crap really put me off.
Paul

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 16:49 #5 

Duncan
Ideal way to get one, is for someone to turn up at a Nanomeet with one they found in a scrappy, but they have a Mk2. Thanks Les!

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 20:04 #6 

DaveyC

Posted 24 Aug 2013, 07:32 #7 

raistlin

Not really :( Very damaged at the lower edge. Also, I'm not in a position to buy anything from the club. Thanks anyway :)
Paul

Posted 24 Aug 2013, 08:32 #8 

Gren 24
Will be going to the scrappy again before the meet so will have a look, one never knows.will let you know if they have and I'll get it,sure if you find one before there will be some-one will need it.

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 16:19 #9 

Roverite
raistlin wrote:

Not really :( Very damaged at the lower edge. Also, I'm not in a position to buy anything from the club. Thanks anyway :)

That is why I bought a new one from Rimmers. Lots of money, but as I intend to keep the car for the rest of my driving life and don't lose thousands each year in depreciation, I think it is worth it.

Incidentally, be careful of the ones on E-bay, some of the new, but not MGR originals, don't fit too well, or so I have been told.

Roverite.

Posted 26 Aug 2013, 14:18 #10