Building question...... by Dave

Dave
We live in a "between the wars" semi, which is of a similar layout to thousands across the country

The front door is an arch, and, like many houses in our road, has been converted from a porch affair where the actual door is about three feet into the house, to a flush with the front wall set up, effectively moving what was the outside porch into being part of the inside hallway

Anyway, like a lot of things on the house that were done before we bought it, the job seems to have been bodged a bit. :evil: The "outside" bit seems to have been covered in concrete to lift it up to meet the existing wooden floor inside (well, I say existing, but when we moved in ten years ago it was riddled with rot so we replaced it). Anyway, the problem is that the concrete seems to be about an inch higher than the floorboards.... We've put up with this since we replaced the floor, as we've had it covered with a thick carpet atop a thick underlay, which has largely hidden it. However, we're now pondering on laminate, and no way this will work over two levels. We could raise the floorboard level, but we'd rather lower the concrete

So, what's worrying us is, if we dig it out, what happens about a damp course? It probably has a rubbish one, if it has one at all, but guessing that, as originally the area was outdoors, it wouldn't have had one when the house was built?

If we dig down, with a view to replacing the concrete, how easy would it be to reinstate a damp course, and would it need to be tied in to the wall's course?

Any advice appreciated!

Posted 08 Aug 2012, 14:48 #1 

Gate Keeper
I see what your problem is and ideally if one of the members lives not far away and is a builder, it would be really helpful if they could call in and cast their eyes over the entrance to the porch. I suppose you would want to remove a layer of the old brick work, add in supports. Re-instate the old bricks if you can save them, with the new DPC in place. Treat the damp. It is possible to smash up the former concrete floor which you will be able to reuse as part of the new foundation. Then damp proof and screed as you know :)

Posted 08 Aug 2012, 17:19 #2 

Dave
Thanks for the reply (here and OC)

Sounds like it's getting into a bigger job than we'd thought, and although we'd like to do it properly, it might be a question of going back to carpet.... (I know, there's potential damp, but it's been like that for the better part of 10 years and not got any worse... :( )

Posted 08 Aug 2012, 21:50 #3 

Gate Keeper
Another option would be for you to keep the existing concrete base as it is, lay on top a damp proof or waterproofing seal. Some people go onto floor tiles or carpet or laminate. Not a big job.

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 06:54 #4 

Zeb
You do not currently have a damp problem with the concrete? Then you can dig down a couple of inches to lower it and then put a thinner layer of new concrete over it to get the correct level. Simples..:)

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 09:03 #5 

Dave
As far as we can see no damp issue with the concrete, but might be one with the wall in the front corner. My guess is this is because this wall was effectively once outside on both sides (ie it formed the outer edge of what would have been the porch) and thus never had a DPC. Once it was "brought inside" by putting the front door directly onto the front wall, then it had the potential for damp...

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 10:31 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You could use a chamfered hardwood fillet from the concrete height down to the new floor level. Depending on how much height difference between the two, if the difference is an inch or so then a slope over approximately a 6" may be practical.
Without a thorough investigation it is not possible to speculate on the state of your DPC, anybody doing so needs to think more carefully of what they are advising.

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 14:09 #7 

Gate Keeper
The previous owners had not put in a layer of DPC, hence Dave's concerns..

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 16:25 #8 

Dave
I think we might have to get a builder in - I am not 100% sure of what has been done before.... :(

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 16:30 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Gate Keeper wrote:The previous owners had not put in a layer of DPC, hence Dave's concerns..

Must have missed that, in that case take up the concrete and repair/install DPC including tying into existing then reinstate to the correct level.
My suggestion of a fillet would only be advisable providing you are sure there is no water ingress.

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 16:58 #10 

Gate Keeper
Mick offers good advice Dave. I have just checked it with my wife who is an architect, has built houses - hotels and blah blah. She endorses pretty much what Mick has suggested. If you do end up doing it yourself, the burden of taking up the concrete can be lessened via a tool hire shop. Otherwise it is down to a builder. Good luck with that.

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 18:20 #11 

kandyman
Get the builders in to give you a cost to carry out the work and what they'll do, and then carry out as much of the work as you can b y yourself to keep the costs down.

This is what I do :)

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 19:07 #12 

Dave
That sounds like a plan with merit! :D

Posted 09 Aug 2012, 19:49 #13