Boot lid plinth by raistlin

raistlin
My boot lid plinth has been on and off several times and as a result, the outboard fixings are worn beyond use.

Does anybody have any alternative fixing methods please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Apr 2013, 09:59 #1 

raistlin
I guess not then.
Paul

Posted 28 Apr 2013, 21:29 #2 

kandyman
Ive only took the plinth off once.

I wonder why they used nuts on the middle 2 fixings and the silly fixings on the 2 end ones ?

Posted 28 Apr 2013, 21:40 #3 

raistlin
As a follow-up, I can't find any alternative methods of securing the outboard ends of the plinth and therefore, every time I raise the boot lid other than from the centre of the plinth, it moves and twangs back into place alarmingly :lol:

Does anybody have any of those interference fit thread cutting fixings that were used originally that I could buy please? I feel sure that, with a little PTFE tape wrapped around the post, I could get a reasonably securely fitted plinth again :)
Paul

Posted 05 May 2013, 15:06 #4 

raistlin
OK, I got the fixings - thanks to Mick :)
Paul

Posted 05 May 2013, 16:52 #5 

T-Cut
A bit late, but this might help somebody with a similar problem.
I bought a facelift plinth to use in my reverse camera tests (mounted underneath the lip). Anyway when it arrived, both the outer plastic pins had been snapped off due to some ham-fisted idiot not knowing how they work. I complained, but they said it was OK when shipped. What a joke. But I digress.
The pins with the silly self-cutting nuts were inside the plinth, so I needed to refit them strongly enough to take those nuts again. I located the pins in position with super glue. That did a good enough job to allow me to strengthen the fractured area using good thick dollops of epoxy resin. Result was stronger then original.
Now it occurs to me that a similar idea could be used for replacing the plastic pins with proper screws. If the pin base area is worked on so as to accommodate the head of a suitably sized bolt, you could set the heads in epoxy and do away with the flimsy plastic pins and the silly self-cutting nuts.

TC

Posted 27 Sep 2013, 22:33 #6