Bentley Factory Tour Friday 20 April by Trebor (Page 4 of 5)

Wolves 75
Bernard wrote:I think i will make a really early start on Friday and have breakfast/coffee at Hilton Park services. If it's not raining I'll park up near the filling station to make it easy to find.
Rob, have you got my mobile number in case I've gone to sleep somewhere when you arrive?

How early you thinking Bernard, may join you/

Lyndon

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 14:37 #61 

Bernard
Wolves 75 wrote:
Bernard wrote:I think i will make a really early start on Friday and have breakfast/coffee at Hilton Park services. If it's not raining I'll park up near the filling station to make it easy to find.
Rob, have you got my mobile number in case I've gone to sleep somewhere when you arrive?

Lyndon

Dunno really. Early enough to miss the northbound traffic on my side of Brum.
What time do we have to leave Hilton Park? Is it 8:00? If so I'll aim at 7:00 arrival.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 14:47 #62 

Wolves 75
Bernard wrote:
Wolves 75 wrote:

Lyndon

Dunno really. Early enough to miss the northbound traffic on my side of Brum.
What time do we have to leave Hilton Park? Is it 8:00? If so I'll aim at 7:00 arrival.

07:30 Departure, Im up for a 06;30 breakfast......:)

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 15:29 #63 

Bernard
Wolves 75 wrote:07:30 Departure, Im up for a 06;30 breakfast......:)

OK, I'll aim for 6:30.
Not worth going to bed.

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 15:34 #64 

Trebor
Do you guys want to change the starting place as if you are having breakfast you would be better off at the truck stop just off junction 11, it's open 24/7 , just a suggestion to consider
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 16:34 #65 

Trebor
Right lads for the 16 lucky punters just a reminder that this tour is on Friday:

" The 2-hour tour will commence promptly at 9am. To avoid delaying the start of the tour, we would be grateful if you could arrive at least 10 minutes ahead of time. In the company of your Tour Guide, you will be given a comprehensive tour of the factory to give you an appreciation of the passion for fine craftsmanship and the pride in engineering perfection that goes into every Bentley.

We do not charge for these tours, but we would be delighted to accept a voluntary donation to our charitable appeals fund. Our chosen charities are St. Luke’s Hospice and The Prince’s Trust. Further details of these charities can be found on the following web sites:

http://www.stlukes-hospice.co.uk/
http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/

Refreshments are not provided on the tour, but there will be an opportunity to visit our coffee shop and merchandise shop at the end of the tour. Please note that the factory closes at midday.

Car parking is available on our Visitors’ Car Park located opposite the front entrance to Bentley Motors Ltd on Pyms Lane.

BENTLEY MOTORS LIMITED
Registered Office: CREWE, CHESHIRE, CW1 3PL, ENGLAND."

A few of us will be meeting along the way and i will post up final convoy details tomorrow, for the rest of you see you there

Most of us will also be going for a pub lunch after the tour so looks like being a great day

Cameras are allowed only in the heritage centre as far as I am aware, so bring them with you and we will find out on the day what we can and cannot do

There is a lot of walking so wear comfortable shoes - leave your high heels at home !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 18:45 #66 

Bernard
Trebor wrote:Do you guys want to change the starting place as if you are having breakfast you would be better off at the truck stop just off junction 11, it's open 24/7 , just a suggestion to consider

I'm easy (oooh matron!)
We will get a better breakfast there that's for sure.

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 19:16 #67 

Trebor
well Lyndon wont argue so i will change it, watch this space for a further post, do you know where it is Bernard ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 19:20 #68 

Bernard
Trebor wrote:well Lyndon wont argue so i will change it, watch this space for a further post, do you know where it is Bernard ?

Seem to remember passing it on the way to the nano-meet maybe?

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 19:30 #69 

Trebor
Convoy start:

Hollies Cafe

( just off M6 Junction 11 about half a mile on the left heading towards Cannock )

6.45 am for breakfast or arrive latest 7.30am for set off

Trebor
Wolves 75
Bernard
Devilish
IJY 1984

Convoy en route pick up:

Large lay-by just off M6 J16 on the A500 heading towards Crewe at 8.15

Kiltman
Duo tone

see the rest of you guys at the factory

Pub Lunch:

The Rising Sun on the Middlewich Road. It is only half a mile from the factory and there are 16 of us having lunch at approx 12 – 12.30pm

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 17 Apr 2012, 19:43 #70 

Duncan
All in the middle of their tour now! Was quite a sight seeing the convoy arriving in the car park!

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 08:57 #71 

Duncan
Good to meet you all. Get some photos up!

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 15:40 #72 

Jürgen
It has been a great day out and nice to meet you (again). Thanks to Rob for organising the tour. :)

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 15:48 #73 

Bernard
Rob, thanks for organising this visit. I was well impressed with the wood and veneer skills, which make Bentley unique among manufacturers. Such a shame that no photography is allowed.

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 17:56 #74 

Trebor
Having more problems with Photobucket at the moment , photos were only allowed in the lineage section only but still got some good shots, the tour was awesome in my opinion, and I will do a write up later, only downside was feeling depressed afterwards knowing that I will probably never ride in one let alone be able to buy one !

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 18:01 #75 

Last edited by Trebor on 20 Apr 2012, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

PaulT
Fabulous tour (thanks Rob).

For me the most amazing thing was that a space saver wheel is an optional extra! A full size spare will not fit. As standard it is a can of spray stuff. So the superiority of the Rover / MG - you can fit a full size spare.

Yes, the wood shop - but what about the leather and trim shop. For the convertible there is a slot between the seat top and headrest - it blows warm air on to the persons neck for use when the top is down and it is a little bit parky.

Should add that we were lucky - they normally only assemble between Monday and Thursday but because of the number of orders they were working today.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 18:04 #76 

Mad-Monkey
The tour was amazing, I was in awe at the skills those workers had. The craftsmanship was outstanding!! Thanks Rob for organising it, just need a lottery ticket now :)

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 18:05 #77 

Bernard
The most amazing thing for me was the use of a household dinner fork for marking the leather for stitching.

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 18:09 #78 

Trebor
I have looked at the stitching on my walnut wheel since I got back and they look like Frankenstein stitches compared to some of the stitching we saw !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 18:26 #79 

Duncan
I'm glad you all enjoyed it. For sure there are so many things that make everyone works there proud that in spite of what people say British car design and manufacturing is still alive and kicking.

One thing the factory can't give you any impression of is the power of the machines. Our normal Rovers/MGs are 100-200HP, with the 260s being special, and the extra special 400+ models. These beasts kick out upwards of 600BHP, and are not stripped out racers, but the wood and leather you all saw.

Am I privelliged and proud? You bet.

Posted 20 Apr 2012, 19:53 #80