Airbag Light -permanent fault by Trebor

Trebor
I know i probably need a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session but with the ZT MoT being due in a few weeks i am trying to solve an airbag light issue.

The light comes on to start , then goes off for a few seconds but then comes back on again together with the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) flashing Airbag Fault.

There are still things to check but so far have:

Changed plugs under both seats
Tested all 3 rear seatbelt pre tensioners by plugging in a working one
Tested both front seatbelt pretensioners by plugging in a working one
Tested both side impact sensors by plugging in a working one

There are still the airbags in both seats, the steering wheel airbag and passenger airbag in the dash not tested but its got to the stage where I have convinced myself it ain't gonna go out.

Any ideas , could it be the DCU at fault and is it located under the centre console?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 08 Jul 2014, 21:09 #1 

PaulT
Had a problem on mine. Bought a couple of front seats, fitted the passenger one and the light went out so the fault in my case was one of the seat airbags. Perhaps try substituting your seats with some kind person so that you either confirm or rule out the actual airbags rather than the connectors (in my case that was the first thing I checked before changing the seat.....two years on that reminds me, take the bag out of the 'new' seat and put it in the original seat.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 09 Jul 2014, 07:49 #2 

Duncan
Have you checked the fuse? The fact that it goes out then comes back on suggest maybe the DCU isn't sending the signal to the IPK to keep the light off. Could also be wiring, or as you say the DCU which is under the console behind the gearshift, in front of the handbrake I think.

Posted 09 Jul 2014, 17:22 #3 

Trebor
Thanks Duncan did think of the fuse, will check tomorrow
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 09 Jul 2014, 18:04 #4 

Bernard
The DCU is a pig to get at, I have had to change one and it is where Duncan says.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 09 Jul 2014, 18:16 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bernard wrote:The DCU is a pig to get at, I have had to change one and it is where Duncan says.

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 02:50 #6 

Duncan
I'm sure Rob will pop in, but it seems to be fixed, now. T4 said it had a fault with one of the side sensors. Odd thing is it had already been tested by substituting with another one. So we tried substituting again, with one of two that had been tried before, and it was now OK. It may have been that the sensor needs to be the right way up or it thinks its faulty. After all it wouldn't expect you to be worrying about T4 and warning lights if the car were upside down. We made sure it was held the right way up during testing and it was happy. The old, faulty one had got quite wet, so I prised it open to see if the fault were water damage. However there was no evidence inside of any problem. I guess we won't know, but at least its OK now (or at least when Rob left).

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 20:05 #7 

squire
Glad to hear Rob's airbag light is now sorted, thanks to Duncan I think. Also while I'm here, thanks to Rob for getting the magnetic flags. Hope everyone has a good Nano meet.
Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 20:50 #8 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Rob.
Did you not need to use the DCU then in the end after moving all the console etc at least you got it sorted thank you Duncan for letting us know the situation Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 21:04 #9 

Trebor
Yes all now sorted and light off all the way home, as Duncan says the T4 showed a faulty side impact sensor which had already been changed for another but in between times i tried another DCU too.

Anyway alls well and next job is discs and pads all round and the LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) conversion at the next Nano meet courtesy of Bernard before its MOT at the end of the month

A big big thanks to Arctic for supplying spare SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) bits for me to keep trying out of the Tardis, and I have a DCU to return plus a side impact sensor to you Steve

Thanks also to Devilish for his help over the last few days helping take the car interior apart and fitting the various bits as we tried to eliminate problems one by one

And of course Duncan who solved the problem tonight with his Midas touch , unflapabiity and T4

It really is heartwarming to know that when you have a problem and need help then it is not far away
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 22:10 #10 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Rob.
Great let us know if you need any help with the disc etc when you are ready no rush with the DCU etc at nano will do cheers Arctic :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 22:37 #11