A tale from the Court by raistlin

raistlin
I was chairing the remand Court today.

Last night, a young married couple were out on the town for the first time since the birth of their first child. Granny was babysitting.

They were in a taxi heading homewards just before 01:00 this morning when another car crashed into the taxi, allegedly at excessive speed.

The young couple were both pronounced dead at the scene and the taxi driver is very seriously ill in hospital with life threatening head and spinal injuries.

The driver of the other car escaped with bruising, a broken finger and broken nose.

He is 19 years old, has no driving licence, had no insurance and had a blood alcohol level roughly 2.5 times the prescribed limit.

Witnesses said his car was being driven erratically and at estimated speeds of 70mph in a 20mph zone.

The defendant, as they say, said nothing other than to confirm his name and address.

It was a little tense in Court this morning.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 14:51 #1 

Last edited by raistlin on 08 Nov 2014, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard
What can one say in reply to that?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 15:57 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I pretty much know what the penalties are. :(

I'm sure our personal points of view coincide. Drunk, illegally in charge of a lethal weapon, resulting in the manslaughter of two innocents and the maiming of another. 30 years would not be enough IMNSHO

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 16:05 #3 

PaulT
Totally and absolutely appalling.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 09 Nov 2014, 17:36 #4 

raistlin
Taxi driver didn't survive.
Paul

Posted 10 Nov 2014, 19:59 #5 

PaulT
So at the grand age of 19 he has effectively murdered 3 people. Wonder if he has any remorse or is just worried about the sentence he might get. Most people in taxis do not wear swat belts so I suppose his legal team will be arguing that the 3 victims contributed to their own demise.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Nov 2014, 20:17 #6 

raistlin
Forgot to add, his identity card was forged, according to what I heard from the CPS this morning, he is, in fact, 17 years old. I should have mentioned this in my previous post.

That will mean that his Plea and Directions hearing at the Crown Court will be brought forward now as he is a youth. I can't imagine it will be this year though.
Paul

Posted 10 Nov 2014, 20:29 #7 

roughyed
He should be locke'd up for the rest of his life, (but he won't be)

Posted 28 Nov 2014, 17:29 #8 

raistlin
roughyed wrote:He should be locke'd up for the rest of his life, (but he won't be)

I think that's a bit harsh. Just my view :)
Paul

Posted 28 Nov 2014, 17:34 #9