A real shame... by Zeb

Zeb
I do not get to teach this stuff any more...:(

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/comment/talkin ... 06301.html

The final line is simply brilliant use of bad language.. :D

Posted 06 Apr 2012, 21:25 #1 

geesmith
It's amazing that politicians aren't allowed to use the f word as it would so frequently simplify the description of their policies and outcomes. Simply add "up".

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 00:25 #2 

PaulT
Shame they did not catch Gordon Browns reaction after he spoke about 'that woman' and then found out that his microphone had been on.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 05:43 #3 

geesmith
PaulT wrote:Shame they did not catch Gordon Browns reaction after he spoke about 'that woman' and then found out that his microphone had been on.

Here you go Paul. This is as near as we'll get..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ ... 649200.stm
..to be fair I think he responded quite well under the circumstances
and the f****ng f****r accepted ref*****ngsponsibility for the f*** up. (instead of blaming poor old Sue(?))

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 11:42 #4 

Jumper
I thought the final line from the highly privileged and expensively educated mayoral candidate was in no way, if I may say, a brilliant use of any language - let alone bad. It displays rage, incompetence, futility, and a rather stupid inability to accept that an inanimate object may choose not to obey a command. All with the misuse of the same root verb/adverb. Not very clever at all. My education, roughly at the same time as the 'gent' in question, but most definitely lacking in terms of cost and exclusivity, has apparently left me a) in a minority, b) much more selective and elitist in terms of vocabulary. Does that make me a snob? What? A scouse snob? Don't think so!

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 12:54 #5 

Zeb
It wasn't. It was from Alistair Campbell's 'Uncle Jim'...who may or may not be highly privileged and expensively educated....:) And the word in question is not simply a verb / adverb...which was my point, it can, and is used in almost any part of a sentence because of its grammatical flexibility and the sheer number of meanings attached to it. Not saying I want to be subject to it all the time by any means but, it has its place...or to be more precise, its places..:D

Anyway, only popped it on as a bit of gentle amusement for folks..:)

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 13:44 #6 

Dave
Indeed! Look it up on Wikipedia, and it says (changing the word of course!)

"Flip" can be used as a verb, adverb, adjective, command, interjection, noun, and can logically be used as virtually any word in a sentence (e.g., "Flip the flipping flippers")

which always makes me laugh!

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 15:56 #7 

Martin
I get it, if your going to use bad language make sure like everything you use it well :thumbsup:
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 16:34 #8 

Jumper
Take the point about confusing Boris with Ken! I don't suppose either would be particularly pleased. Mind you, with an uncle like Jim, I'm not surprised at Alastair Campbell's fondness for public swearing.

I confess I find it difficult to accept that either BJ or AC (or anyone else for that matter) ever once thought about variable parts of speech and planning them into a sentence before blurting out the expletives!

The universal (or so it appears) descent into the profane dismays, I think on balance I prefer to remain, as I said, in a minority - even if it is of one.

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 18:54 #9 

Zeb
I think you are right as regards BJ and AC Jumper... though I reckon some people can and do - principally for effect granted!

The descent into the profane...well yes in some ways. Certainly it is all too common to hear these words used in a most mindless fashion that does nothing to enhance one's day! But equally, they do still have a social, intellectual and emotional function that, whilst lost on the great unwashed, provides a fascinating insight into the social, historical and etymological side of life... sorry, am off on one again. :D

Nowt wrong with being in a minority.

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 19:03 #10 

Jumper
There seems to be a general acceptance of the use of expletives in all forms of communication and there was an argument around their use being evidence of an otherwise limited vocabulary. However, seeing some of the erudite buffoons on TV, I doubt that argument holds much water. The point that seems to elude the trend-setters' insistence on full frontal verbals is that, as in other aspects of life, over-use results in loss of performance! Probably better to draw a veil over that, but you get the sense - singular use of any expletive causes at least raised eyebrows but use it after every other word and it is just boring.

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 19:20 #11 

geesmith
Has anyone come across a Sunday morning football match? I come across one sometimes while walking the dog..
..it's a bit like blow football but instead of blowing you use the f word.
I thought you would get sent off for that but I now suspect the opposite is true and they're all trying so desperately hard to stay on. Well blow me!

Posted 08 Apr 2012, 15:07 #12