2.5 V6 Auto - Wierd Clicking Noises - Steering by carlpenn

carlpenn
My Saloon has developed a wierd random clicking when turning left, The easiest way to explain this is like this:

Do you remember having those clickers on your Bicycle wheels? A rapid Clicking / Clacking noise?

Well, thats similar to what I get. Not a grind, whirring or crunching noise but a genuine clicking sound. As I said though, not all the time, it is Random and most often when there is more Kinetic weight on the Drivers side (Leading me to think its the Drivers side wheel)

I thought perhaps the Brake Wear Sensor had come off and got caught inbetween the Wheel and Brake Caliper (Although that makes a proper loud grinding noise as it did it on the Tourer once

I haven't had the Wheel off yet, but I can count out the Sensor anyway, as I removed it and haven't replaced it yet.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 11 Apr 2013, 21:25 #1 

carlpenn
After some research, I have found it is most likely the CV Joint.

What is the Best option here?

1. Replace both O/S and N/S CV Joints (about £70 from Eurocarts)
2. Replace both O/S and N/S Driveshafts? (about £370 from Eurocarparts)

For Option, I mean easiest, lowest Labour, Cost effectiveness i.e Does the Driveshaft really need changing? I may get it done at the Garage you see.

Whilst there, is it a good idea to change any other bits? (Droplinks / Bushes etc)

Do I need to change Both sides? Normally I would, but Financial restraints and all that

Any help / Advice appreciated thank you :D
Upgrades:

Posted 12 Apr 2013, 09:58 #2 

75driver
If it were me, I would just replace the part that's faulty.

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 18:21 #3 

Duncan
No need to change the driveshafts unless you can get them cheaper. If it's just the one CV joint, change that as they don't fail that often. It's not like springs that should be done in pairs, either.

You may lose some gearbox oil if you take the driveshaft off to swap the CV joint, but it makes the job much easier if you do. You may damage the rubber on the lower balljoint when splitting it but replacements are available though a pig to fit.

I changed droplinks when I replaced the springs, because the rubbers looked a bit cracked. The replacements failed very quickly, so I may have been better leaving the originals rather than replacing them with cheap ones.

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 18:55 #4 

carlpenn
Thanks Guys :)

Will check condition of Droplink Rubbers etc before starting, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" as they say :P
Upgrades:

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 19:53 #5 

75driver
If you do decide to change droplinks, go for oem ones. I replaced mine recently with rimmers aftermarket ones, and they don't look very good quality.
Ps you might also want to chop off a fraction of the top thread, which will make it easier for a ring spanner to fit on.
All will make sense if you try to remove old ones. Use plenty of wd 40!

Posted 15 Apr 2013, 19:19 #6