MOT another success by Russ

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Russ
(Trader)
This morning it was the Tourer's turn for it's MOT.

Passed :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

but only just on the handbrake (again bloody thing :mad1: ) and that's after getting it adjusted just right (or so I thought) looks like the new cables need to be fitted.

Emissions are even better than last year fast passed on 0.45 l/min as opposed to last years 0.67 l/min probably down to turning off the mafam after finding that the maf was in spec after all.

I've got one or two little maintainence jobs to do over the next few months to keep it up to the mark, all non essential but because I'm particular about these things would prefer to get them done. (I always use to opportunity to have a good look underneath while it's up on the lift)

MOT tester made some very kind coments about the car and the way it's maintained, so I must be doing something right.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 11:40 #1 

takestock
Nice one mate, got your message, will ring you when i get a minute :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 11:46 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Glad to hear you are all set for another year Russ.

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 11:48 #3 

jonjon77
thats good news russ.let me know if you need a hand with the cables

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 12:27 #4 

JohnDotCom
Glad it passed OK but not surprised Russ. ;)
Handbrake/Cables seem to be the bane of everyones life on these cars.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 15:51 #5 

raistlin
Yet another pass :)

Chuffed to hear it Russ.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 16:10 #6 

Duncan
Mine passed too yesterday. Just had a look at the brake data and have to say my handbrake is now performing pretty well. New shoes and discs, but same cables. I did put some washers behind the adjuster nut though.

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 21:03 #7 

MrB
Excellent news Russ :thumbsup:

Am sure that pesky handbrake will get sorted soon enough.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 21:47 #8 

DeuxGazoles
Well done Russ............................oh no I still haven't tested Grovey yet :em: :panic:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 21:55 #9 

Russ
(Trader)
Duncan wrote:Mine passed too yesterday. Just had a look at the brake data and have to say my handbrake is now performing pretty well. New shoes and discs, but same cables. I did put some washers behind the adjuster nut though.

Congratulations on your car passing too Duncan :mrgreen:

I must admit I thought it would be touch and go with the handbrake when I took it in. I'd adjusted it up and within a few applications it had lost some of it's bite, unfortunately I'd temporarily misplaced the long socket I needed to adjust it again before the test.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 22:04 #10 

James.uk
Nice one Russ, the peeps need you out and about.. :)

The mech at my MOT place played with the handbrake on my car, and managed to get it past by 1% :shock: :D

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 22:23 #11 

JohnDotCom
My MOT station says as a Automatic he doesn't fail them as long as functioning. :confused:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 22:31 #12 

DeuxGazoles
JohnDotCom wrote:My MOT station says as a Automatic he doesn't fail them as long as functioning. :confused:

Going back to my days of running Vivas they had a pathetic handbrake & one tester said if a Viva so much as twitches the needles on the brake tester it's passed :mrgreen:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 22:36 #13 

Duncan
Well these are the figures from Friday:

Pass limit >=16% actual 23%
Force: 213kgf left, 176kgf right. This is almost the same as the service brakes, and the car lifted out of the test rollers.
This is the first time I've seen a brake test printout. Does everyone get them now?

So don't know what I've done, but they can perform OK. When I first fitted the new discs and shoes, performance was rubbish, but after some bedding and a readjustment they got these figures.

Bet next year it will be borderline again.

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 08:14 #14 

TyphoonTT
Good news Russ. :thumbsup: Always a relief.

I also can't seem to get the handbrake to bite. I've tried bedding the shoes in
but guess I'll have to try re adjusting again. My Dad's on the other hand bites well
with aged discs and shoes, but is a bit high. :confused:

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 10:18 #15 

Duncan
TyphoonTT wrote:Good news Russ. :thumbsup: Always a relief.

I also can't seem to get the handbrake to bite. I've tried bedding the shoes in
but guess I'll have to try re adjusting again. My Dad's on the other hand bites well
with aged discs and shoes, but is a bit high. :confused:

Well if I make it to the next nanomeet, maybe we can have a go at improving it a bit. I was worried that I'd over adjusted but the drag figures from my MOT show it's fine.

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 19:58 #16 

Samarkand
Nice one Russ :)
All the Best
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 15:15 #17 

PaulT
I am convinced that the handbrake must be adjusted according to the manual.

When I bought my car it had not long passed an MOT and at the same time had a service. On the invoice was adjusting handbrake. However, it was far from good.

Having accepted that this was how they were it passed a couple of MOTs but failed on the handbrake on the last.

I adjusted it as per the manual and in doing so it would seem that the previous owners garage merely adjusted it at the lever.

Wow, what a difference, it will hold on a steep hill even with a trailer attached.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 06:44 #18 

kevineds
Congrats Russ :) Mine got through last week , got an advisory on the front to back brake pipes though..

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 07:00 #19