An observation by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
I was nearly involved in a multiple crash this afternoon.

Anybody who uses the M54 will be aware that there is a scamera setup for collecting taxes at the Eastern end, starting a little before junction 2 when travelling Eastwards, ostensibly because of the development of the new JLR premises.

As I approached the speed limit, set at 50 mph, as usual, there was a mixture of reactions. Those like myself who use the road regularly gently slowing so as to enter the speed limit at the correct speed, others leaving it until the last minute and then, of course we have White Van man, for whom speed limits do not apply.

Unfortunately, it isn't until well in to the limited section that the first of the average speed cameras (SPECS) can be seen. Apparently SPECS camera DO apply to WVM though, going by the idiocy this evening.

There was a steady stream of traffic in lane 1 at or close to 50 mph and WMV (yes, it was a battered white transit) hurtled up the deserted lane 2 at a (subjectively observed) speed of 90mph, totally ignoring the speed limit signs until he saw the first SPECS camera. He was going so fast that, in order to avoid the possibility of getting a ticket, he had to apply the brakes went on so hard, that the whole of the Eastbound carriageway was swathed in smoke.

WVM clearly didn't have much idea though because the excessive braking reduced his speed to roughly 25mph. So, what does he do then?

In a sudden and inexplicable desire to be incognito and with an uncharacteristic attack of shyness, he swerved into lane 1 to take up his place with the rest of the herd, in doing so, almost causing a multiple collision as the vehicles behind were all travelling at the aforesaid 50 mph.

Those nearest has no choice but to swerve into lane 2 in an effort to avoid the clown and we were all very lucky, in my estimation, to avoid accidents.

Do you think WVM will learn a lesson? Personally, I wonder if he even bothered to look in his rear view mirrors to see the trouble he'd caused.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 18:07 #1 

Duncan
Although I abhor the behaviour you mention, and agree that WVM and his speeding are a massive problem, I don't agree that cameras are any kind of tax. You see in my book, you don't have any choice with tax, whereas avoiding speeding fines is completely optional.

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 20:01 #2 

Jürgen
raistlin wrote:Do you think WVM will learn a lesson?

There's just one conclusive answer to this question. A two letter word and an exclamation mark.

Good to hear that no one got hurt.

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 20:57 #3 

raistlin
Duncan wrote: you don't have any choice with tax

Depends who you are :lol:
Paul

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 21:19 #4 

Duncan
raistlin wrote:
Duncan wrote: you don't have any choice with tax

Depends who you are :lol:

OK, you got me there. But for us 'normal' people.....

But I also think that cameras are not any kind of solution to WVM and his friends.

Posted 23 Aug 2013, 21:25 #5 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:But I also think that cameras are not any kind of solution to WVM and his friends.

I think that's probably true Duncan. Unfortunately, in my experience, they take no notice of disqualification either :(
Paul

Posted 24 Aug 2013, 08:34 #6