Check Engine fault indicator. by Mick

Mick
(Site Admin)
Came on at start up this morning. Can anybody tell me what to check first please?
The car runs perfectly normally, nearly a hundred miles all together today.

Thanks.

Posted 25 Jul 2013, 18:01 #1 

Bernard
Not really possible without a code reader.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 25 Jul 2013, 19:05 #2 

Duncan
As Bernard suggest, it could be one of so many things. It might be as simple as a fuse to one of the sensors, but you could chase things all day without getting it read.

Posted 25 Jul 2013, 21:01 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Bernard and Duncan, I presumed without some interrogation it would be a helluva trial and error job. I'll have a play with it as the car is behaving normally at the moment and arrange to get on a reader of some description after the weekend.
Thanks.

Posted 25 Jul 2013, 21:17 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Checked under bonnet fuses, all intact, disconnected and reconnected electrical connectors situated between inlet manifold and battery box. Check engine fault indicator light disappeared. Must have been a dirty connection although they all looked clean and shiny.

Posted 26 Jul 2013, 14:01 #5 

JohnDotCom
Quite often you can just clear the fault light and it will run fine again before/if it lights up again.
That's what I have found on the Diesels anyway Mick.
Most code readers can clear this, if stuck Mick, I can post out mine to you.

On diesels the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) can cause fault light you describe as well as fuel filter electrics connection on top.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 27 Jul 2013, 14:30 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks John, I'll wait and see if comes back and take it from there, so far all OK.

Posted 27 Jul 2013, 14:43 #7 

Duncan
If it was a temporary fault, the light will go out after a few engine 'cycles' (starts) anyway. It may be co-incidence that you played with the connections, then again you might have fixed something with a dirty connection.

Posted 27 Jul 2013, 20:01 #8 

Bolin
I had the dreaded 'check engine' message flash up just briefly on my V6, literally for a couple of seconds when I revved it up to 4krpm immediately after starting it (from cold I think), it went away and never came back.

Car is not happy though.

I take it that there is no ay to work out what caused it without a code reader? Or will the fult have been erased as it hasn't come back?

Posted 04 Aug 2013, 23:10 #9 

Duncan
The fault should still be readable, at least by a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System). I'm not sure if they are hidden from an OBD (On Board Diagnostics) tester after a number of cycles without the fault.

Posted 05 Aug 2013, 17:20 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Mine has still not returned after 20+ cycles, be interesting to plug it into T4 next time at nano if convenient. Thankfully the car is behaving itself as usual.

Posted 05 Aug 2013, 17:25 #11