WiFi boosters by Raistlin

Raistlin
Does anybody have any experience with these devices please? WiFI in the garden is a bit patchy since VM installed my new router.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 22:48 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Yes, sort of
Not a booster as such but a range extender. http://www.ebuyer.com/264407-netgear-wn ... 0rp-100uks setup arranged over a very large private house, where the WiFi signal from the router on the second floor could not be accessed from the ground floor. Installing the extender on the ground floor allowed access throughout the building and the extensive gardens.

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 11:33 #2 

ceedy
Paul , have search for windsurfer extender
... It does seem to give a little help and costs notalot!!

PS.. as we squeek I am modifing a Router to have Dual Quad Loop antennas to improve the Wifi in the home .. theres loads of info on this sort of thing on the web. should be a piece of cake to man of your calibre ;) :-D
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 13:15 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I agree, there are many boosters and workarounds and for little money. The scenario described above was to make sure the two pieces of equipment, both Netgear, were guaranteed compatible and would do the job required. As at the time I was still fully employed as an independent engineer, therefore could not take a chance on letting down a client. If it were necessary at home I would look into a cheaper method too.

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 13:33 #4 

ceedy
Was just giving Paul an option or two. might even be telling things he already knows, dunno if he even wants to fiddle about or just do a plug N go.?
Can't see anything about netgear specifically in the OP ? just the mention of Boosters, so anything from tinfoil & wire to Pringles cans and up to powered amps covers that :-D

so was being pretty generalistic ?.

:gmc:

PS strike that netgear bit , we are at the mercy of the typed word, which is so easily misunderstood if not read 10X over.. ;)
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 14:24 #5 

Raistlin
Thanks for the ideas both :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 24 Jul 2012, 16:10 #6 

Unclefista
The range of the new Virgin "superhub" isn't very good at all.
I've ended up using it as a modem only and plugging my old router in.
I'd be very interested in any modification I could do to boost the range.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Posted 25 Jul 2012, 01:05 #7 

JohnDotCom
The newest BT hub(3) is very good for range.
It goes through our very thick walls and can be used in a all metal Cara van in the garden!
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 25 Jul 2012, 08:49 #8