Air con and engine cooling by RichardGarner

RichardGarner
That old 2 speed fan chestnut.

The fan on the 190 is misbehaving, with the a/c on you can hear an audible click (about every ten seconds) and the engine note changes but the fan would do nothing. It also wouldnt come on to top speed for ten second intervals.
So Ive just fitted a new Jules style fan resistor, but it's not behaving like I thought it would. With the a/c on you can still hear that same click and the engine note changes with it, but it now brings the fan on but just enough to set it spinning then it stops and then repeats about ten seconds later. The aircon itself isn't brilliant, barely cold air being blown so with the dodgey fan resistor would I be right in assuming the aircon pump itself has chuffing well thrown a wobbly?

Also I've checked and theres no coolant leaks and the engine maintains good temperature (between 95-100) at what temperature should the fan kick in for engnie cooling? (trying to rule out a dead fan altogether!!)

Posted 24 May 2012, 14:38 #1 

takestock
Fan should kick in at 100 and stay on to 95. The click you can hear will be the compressor kicking in and out as the system shuts off due to no cooling fan or low gas. What year is the 190. is the 2 speed fan original, could it be possible somebody has fitted a diesel one in it's place by mistake?
What mileage has the car done, there are reports of some 2 speeders failing cica 140k
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 24 May 2012, 15:36 #2 

Last edited by takestock on 27 May 2012, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

JakeWilson
I know the car's done 68k and is a 2004 on a 54 Dave.

Best,

Jake

Posted 24 May 2012, 16:03 #3 

RichardGarner
Quick update.

It appears the resistor mod has worked and the fan kicks in when the engine temp hits 100 so the problem must be to with the aircon. I'm going to get it regassed and see what happens then.

Also with a little help from Alan the carpet is now back in place and it resembles a car again!! :-D

Posted 25 May 2012, 21:34 #4 

takestock
sounds about right ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 May 2012, 07:16 #5 

RichardGarner
I went to kwikfit this afternoon and asked them to check the aircon for me, the refridgerant was a bit low so they did the usual empty and recharge.

But it still does the click on for a second then off again and in short doesn't work, altough when it clicks you can hear it move the gas around. In fairness to them they didn't charge me as it wasn't any better. But he then said they don't touch air con pumps so there was nothing else he could do.

I've just had a look at prices for a new pump :scared: :shock: wow they are expensive!! I don't really want to spend mega money on her but it would be nice to have working air con.

Posted 02 Jun 2012, 18:42 #6 

Duncan
I wonder if we are getting misled assuming fan problems. Is it an ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) car or just aircon? The ATC systems have a temperature sensor on the evaporator (maybe the aircon ones do too) and if this were faulty it might be lying to the controller and making it switch off when it's not actually cold.

Posted 02 Jun 2012, 19:07 #7 

RichardGarner
Duncan wrote:I wonder if we are getting misled assuming fan problems. Is it an ATC car or just aircon? The ATC systems have a temperature sensor on the evaporator (maybe the aircon ones do too) and if this were faulty it might be lying to the controller and making it switch off when it's not actually cold.

Perhaps an avenue to look at, she's a 190 se so an ATC car. Also just had a thought, is there a way of testing the trinary switch to see if it's working properly?

Posted 03 Jun 2012, 19:08 #8