Wasps...or worse! by Zeb

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Zeb
Scary buggers these..I put a normal' wasp with them to compare the difference...

We had what we thought was a bees' nest in a tree out the front....not sure whether the bees were evicted or what but the next thing we knew we had these B52 look-a-likes flying around...

Method of disposal... 11.30pm, garage spotlight played on the nest....the blighters swarmed and attacked the light....not stopping even when their wings were smoking! VERY aggressive! Whilst they were all busy I cut the nest down from the tree, grabbed it in a pond net and stuck it in a bucket of water......then went and stamped on all the now wingless psychopaths crawling around the lawn.....

NOT my idea of fun at all :(

I assume they are hornets?

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 10:28 #1 

takestock
Just wait until their dad comes home........ :panic:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 10:42 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
:hissyfit: Murderer. :gmc:

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 10:44 #3 

podge
Thats a shame,Hornets will not attack us but will get rid of wasps!and other nasties in the garden. We have lots of them here,they retreat very quickly from us,I have been trying to get a close up photo of them for years,they just retreat like butterflies do ....wish the same could be said about wasps!Mind you,getting rid of the nest like that...you were VERY lucky not to be attacked by them!!

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 11:23 #4 

kandyman
Heres a good page with nice clear pictures.

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/bees.html

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 11:55 #5 

Zeb
podge wrote:Thats a shame,Hornets will not attack us but will get rid of wasps!and other nasties in the garden. We have lots of them here,they retreat very quickly from us,I have been trying to get a close up photo of them for years,they just retreat like butterflies do ....wish the same could be said about wasps!Mind you,getting rid of the nest like that...you were VERY lucky not to be attacked by them!!

:( Oh dear....well, I couldn't leave the nest where it was. It was on the edge of the boundary of the garden, public footpath on one side and the kids play area my side...and these ones were definitely not retreating from anyone that strayed into their area - unfortunately people would pass closer than three metres on both sides of the fence - otherwise I would have let them be! Got to admit, I honestly thought it a wasps nest until it was down... *Cue Zeb feeling guilty about committing genocide now*

Edit: Just discovered they kill and eat bees....so I do not feel quite so bad about it now...

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 12:20 #6 

JohnDotCom
......and we need the bees which are evidently decreasing in numbers at a alarming rate.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 13:57 #7 

Dave
Zeb wrote:Scary buggers these..I put a normal' wasp with them to compare the difference...

LOL! I love the idea that you have a supply of normal sized wasps ready at hand for photographic size comparison purposes!!

Posted 15 Aug 2011, 20:30 #8 

Duncan
Dave wrote:
Zeb wrote:Scary buggers these..I put a normal' wasp with them to compare the difference...

LOL! I love the idea that you have a supply of normal sized wasps ready at hand for photographic size comparison purposes!!

No, he just murders them as required.....

(Only kidding!)

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 07:00 #9 

Zeb
I found that one on a window ledge....think the cat had been chewing it...:D

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 08:27 #10 

Jürgen
Don't blame the cat! :D

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 16:33 #11 

Martin
HI Carl
could be the larger more aggressive euro wasp, Hornets are generally less aggressive as said, however the Euro thing is very nasty and will attack our wasps and take over. Be careful and ................................................ Kill them all Mind you this info comes with the usual disclaimers Knowledge experience and an unerring instinct for noisy thrust bearings
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 16 Aug 2011, 20:20 #12