Lock your car with engine running. by ardvark

ardvark
I'd like to bring this info back to the attention of menbers who did'nt know. Dave (stocktake) bought this to our attention a while back.

If you don't have the "bathrobe" option enabled on your car then this way may help.

Unlock the DRIVERS DOOR ONLY and start your engine. Lock the drivers door with the engine running with the second key USE THE KEY IN THE DOOR LOCK NOT THE REMOTE.

When your are ready unlock the drivers door with the second key.

This way you can defrost your car without some toe rag driving off in it AND it'll be nice and warm when you are ready to drive off yourself.

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 14:09 #1 

takestock
Surely you mean takestock :D :D :D.

Timely reminder for the winter mornings ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 15:12 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I thought it was necessary to have bathrobe locking enabled to achieve this.

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 15:15 #3 

takestock
Nope, bathrobe allows the remote function to operate on the second key. without the bathrobe unlocking enabled you can still use the key in the lock and lock it mechanically. Just remember if you unlock all the doors you will only lock the drivers door with the key and the others will remain unlocked.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 15:26 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
takestock wrote:Nope, bathrobe allows the remote function to operate on the second key. without the bathrobe unlocking enabled you can still use the key in the lock and lock it mechanically. Just remember if you unlock all the doors you will only lock the drivers door with the key and the others will remain unlocked.

Cheers Dave. :)

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 15:44 #5 

Bermudan 75
One downside of this is that a thief could still smash a window and he has access to your car. :(

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 15:52 #6 

MN190
Rover418275 wrote:One downside of this is that a thief could still smash a window and he has access to your car. :(

As the car was locked would your insurance payout?

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 16:30 #7 

JohnDotCom
...and of course don't do this on any public highway as is illegal to leave car engine running with no one in it!
just for drives/garages etc
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 16:42 #8 

Mad-Monkey
Someone had their car or van (I forgot) pinched outside the newsagents down the road from work. Silly muppet left the car running whilst they nipped in!! :roll:

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 19:29 #9