Cloning hard drives by raistlin

raistlin
What software do people recommend for cloning hard drives at the moment please?

I want to move my system to a larger HDD without having to start from scratch.

Thanks
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 20 Nov 2010, 17:21 #1 

Mad-Monkey
raistlin wrote:What software do people recommend for cloning hard drives at the moment please?

I want to move my system to a larger HDD without having to start from scratch.

Thanks

I think I used Acronis the last time I did a HDD clone. Worked well.

Posted 20 Nov 2010, 18:00 #2 

al_dente
Yes, I can second Acronis. The product I used is called True Image, but I think it's been superceded by 'Backup and recovery'
http://www.acronis.com/backup-recovery/

There is a trial version you can download, but I've no idea whether it is feature limited.

There are free applications you can use too, but I've not used them. A good place to start for this is the Ultimate Boot CD
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Cheers

Al

Posted 20 Nov 2010, 21:55 #3 

James.uk
I replaced my C/drive by -- I copied the existing one to a 2nd internal drive as file using Norton Ghost on a floppy .. I then swapped the old drive with my new one, then used Ghost to restore the file from the other internal drive to my "new" C/drive.. :thumbsup:

Ooops forgot, I had to put a copy of my operating system on the new C/drive so that ghost could "see" it..

Posted 20 Nov 2010, 22:21 #4 

Jürgen
al_dente wrote:Yes, I can second Acronis. The product I used is called True Image, but I think it's been superceded by 'Backup and recovery'

Yes, it's indeed a good software. It's still available as True Image only, so you won't need the big package.

There are two ways of using it. You can install the software as usual, or just boot your PC from the CD and it will do the job as well.

Posted 21 Nov 2010, 17:37 #5 

raistlin
I think I have a copy of Acronis True image in my archive somewhere :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Nov 2010, 17:40 #6