Car Insurance! by Lightpainter (Page 1 of 2)

Lightpainter
Can anyone explain what has happened in the last year to make insurance premiums increase so much?

Last year RAC direct insurance was £213.00 fully comp, this year they are quoting £382.96 for the same cover, not with RAC direct but they put it out to a panel and that quote was with Aviva Ins.

Just got a more realistic quote from Adrian Flux (on here) £239.43 but still a hell of a lot more than last year!

Posted 09 Nov 2010, 12:29 #1 

Duncan
It pays to argue wirth them.

Just re-insured our tourer, and it too had jumped. So I used an online search, and got a quote almost £100 cheaper. With the SAME insurance company.

So we rang the broker, and after some 'discussions' got it down almost to the same, enough to make it not worth the hassle of changing broker.

On the other hand, I changed the vehicle last night on one of our other policies (replacement vehicle on its way). The new car is essentially exactly the same as the last one, except it's grey instead of blue. The person I was speaking to said 'oh that's rdiculous, can you wait a moment' and dissaperaed off. I assumed the premium had jumped up by a stupid amount and as it was the same car she was asking why.

In fact the increasen was ridiculous. She tried in vain to get her supervisor to override it but couldn't. I had to pay 31p on my credit card. Will have cost them more in admin fees. God to see some sense from the young (?) lady at the other end. I assume a young lady because everything was 'cool'.

Posted 09 Nov 2010, 13:26 #2 

Chartermark
Lightpainter wrote:Can anyone explain what has happened in the last year to make insurance premiums increase so much?

Trained apparatchik squads in call centres, programmed in the art of constructive slicing and extraction.

These tactics are demeaning and divisive to their 'customers', whom they seem to demographically bracket with the retards in their annoying TV adverts. Everything today it seems, has to be conflictive, byzantine and downright contrite, especially in the 'service' industries.

'We're all in it together' the great leader tells us. With incomes being defrayed on many fronts by these wretched leaches with their Orwellian methodology, perhaps it's time they were constrained?

Parallel marooning with their fellow insurance cheats on one of the radio-active atolls we've been so good at creating over the past 50 years would be a start ...

Posted 09 Nov 2010, 17:17 #3 

JohnDotCom
The insurance companies did give their excuses why all premiums
Would be going up between 27% and 58% dependent on age and location.
They blame false claims, non insured drivers and rear end shunts deliberately staged.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 09 Nov 2010, 18:19 #4 

PaulT
JohnDotCom wrote:and rear end shunts deliberately staged.

And for those instigating these it is so easy - why do some people drive so close to the car in front that if it stops or slows they have absolutely no chance of stopping.

I try to keep to the speed limits and the number of people I have come right up behind me trying to intimidate me in to going faster is incredible. All I need to is jam on the brakes, say something ran out in to the road and I would be making a claim.

There was also a piece on the Today programme yesterday morning and apparently the No Win, No Fee solicitors are increasing claims.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 11 Nov 2010, 07:48 #5 

MrB
The deliberately staged rear shunts do not require the person behind to be driving too quickly or too closely.

These involve either the removal of the brake lights, so as no warning is given that the car in front is slowing, and an emergency style stop.

The other type of deliberately staged rear end is where someone pulls out in front of a car with no regard to the other driver, as if they hit them it will come off the other driver's insurance not theirs.

The insurance companies need to look at whether this rule should still be in force.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 11 Nov 2010, 12:45 #6 

Chartermark
PaulT wrote:And for those instigating these it is so easy - why do some people drive so close to the car in front that if it stops or slows they have absolutely no chance of stopping.

I try to keep to the speed limits and the number of people I have come right up behind me trying to intimidate me in to going faster is incredible.

Monday I drove back from Chester, through a wall of continuous rain and spray M56/M6/A14, a journey of 7 hours plus. The amount of people 'tailgating' me was nothing less than incredulous. Vision was impaired, the road surface liquid, and braking distances parlous to say the least. Many were women drivers, who oblivious to reaction times, seem to have no fear of rear end collisions caused by their 'hurry up' approach as they attempt to emulate F1 skill levels.

I now find driving becoming increasingly difficult to contend with, as one is virtually shoved off the road by the aggression of others.

I gave up shopping in supermarkets, and get it delivered now, as the disease of tailgating has extended there as well.

Maybe it's time for a 'Smart Car' and the rail pass!

Posted 11 Nov 2010, 16:09 #7 

steven
I'm glad my renewal price was cheaper then :)

I'm not very happy with Hastings Direct (My insurer) but I have to say the prices are good and as long as you read your documents carefully and know them inside out you should be OK in the event of a claim.

Not correctly knowing what you are insured for is one of the major headaches when dealing with insurance companies.
Does this look familiar?

Continuing to support the 75 community wherever they may be

Posted 22 Nov 2010, 23:10 #8 

Tourerfogey
Please, please do not buy insurance based purely on price - there are other important considerations too.

Posted 23 Nov 2010, 15:57 #9 

Bartonrover
Lightpainter wrote:Can anyone explain what has happened in the last year to make insurance premiums increase so much?

Just got a more realistic quote from Adrian Flux (on here) £239.43 but still a hell of a lot more than last year!

Very simply:

1. The ever-increasing compensation claims for personal injury of any kind.

2. the high cost of car repairs nowadays - you may be driving a low value car but there are lots of high value £30k - £60 k cars out there - just a small scrape can mean literally thousands in repair bills. Premiums have to cover that risk

3. Boy racers, the uninsured and deliberate shunts are all part of the equation but I think the fundamental reason is the two factors listed above.

I'm just irritated that my insurer reduces my premium by about 6% if I have my wife named as a driver on the policy!

Posted 23 Nov 2010, 20:22 #10 

Simon
Hi All,

I was having a play around with the "Confused.Com" website today,

A company called IGO4 Value quoted me for an MG ZT V8, I have a clean licence, 6 years NCB, been driving for 20 years, live in a village, Off road Parking etc:

Quoted £11972.27 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes! You read correctly "Eleven Thousand, Nine Hundred and Seventy Two Pounds and Twenty Seven Pence"

Full Comp, Protected NCB

Looks like I'll never own one now! :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:
115,000 miles and counting

Posted 24 Nov 2010, 18:14 #11 

PaulT
Simon wrote:Hi All,

I was having a play around with the "Confused.Com" website today,

A company called IGO4 Value quoted me for an MG ZT V8, I have a clean licence, 6 years NCB, been driving for 20 years, live in a village, Off road Parking etc:

Quoted £11972.27 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes! You read correctly "Eleven Thousand, Nine Hundred and Seventy Two Pounds and Twenty Seven Pence"

Full Comp, Protected NCB

Looks like I'll never own one now! :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

It is a good job you have 6 years NCB otherwise it would be unaffordable
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 24 Nov 2010, 19:57 #12 

Tourerfogey
Have just done the same (didn't go as far as comparing the cover) but fully comp ranged from £353 to £476 over the first 10 quotes :D :D (The IG04 Quote was £603)

<Brain now starts working overtime . . . .>

Wonders how much it would be to tax the thing . . .

Posted 24 Nov 2010, 20:11 #13 

Jumper
Chartermark wrote:

Trained apparatchik squads in call centres, programmed in the art of constructive slicing and extraction.

These tactics are demeaning and divisive to their 'customers', whom they seem to demographically bracket with the retards in their annoying TV adverts. Everything today it seems, has to be conflictive, byzantine and downright contrite, especially in the 'service' industries.

'We're all in it together' the great leader tells us. With incomes being defrayed on many fronts by these wretched leaches with their Orwellian methodology, perhaps it's time they were constrained?

Parallel marooning with their fellow insurance cheats on one of the radio-active atolls we've been so good at creating over the past 50 years would be a start ...

Wow, sounds like you've got goblins weeing in the water up there in North Essex. Watch out for the green ones, they're poisonous and con you that they're saving the world. Down here in South Essex we've got foxes we can capture and send to you to go after the goblins. They're all red and probably communists, they might cost you more.

Posted 24 Nov 2010, 21:23 #14 

Jumper
PaulT wrote:
JohnDotCom wrote:and rear end shunts deliberately staged.

And for those instigating these it is so easy - why do some people drive so close to the car in front that if it stops or slows they have absolutely no chance of stopping.

I try to keep to the speed limits and the number of people I have come right up behind me trying to intimidate me in to going faster is incredible. All I need to is jam on the brakes, say something ran out in to the road and I would be making a claim.

There was also a piece on the Today programme yesterday morning and apparently the No Win, No Fee solicitors are increasing claims.

Paul

What about a high-level brake light effect controlled by a switch similar to 'our' rear blind one that reads 'Danger- please increase your distance' in red?

Posted 24 Nov 2010, 21:31 #15 

baconbuttyman
My insurance always add 150 to the renewal premium, i phone them and tell them i have a better quote around the £200 mark and they seem to match it
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 25 Nov 2010, 17:16 #16 

Chartermark
Jumper wrote:Wow, sounds like you've got goblins weeing in the water up there in North Essex. Watch out for the green ones, they're poisonous and con you that they're saving the world. Down here in South Essex we've got foxes we can capture and send to you to go after the goblins. They're all red and probably communists, they might cost you more.

I was opining Nationally actually Jumper old chap, you ought to be on the TV with stuff like that, very good!

Posted 28 Nov 2010, 00:48 #17 

Patrick
Another thing that is causing premiums to rise is the nasty "claim management" companies trying to persuade you to have a ridiculously expensive hire car whilst yours is being repaired. My son bent his Porsche Gayman (I blame his parents for him wanting such a car…) one of these crooks was trying to persuade him to let them supply a NEW Ferrari as a replacement whilst his car was being repaired. He explained that he worked for Lloyds of London and knew it was crooks like them that were causing premiums to increase and he wanted nothing to do with them. Did not stop them chasing him a couple more times.

The world is now full of dishonest shysters and it costs us all.

Posted 28 Nov 2010, 15:34 #18 

Jumper
Chartermark wrote:
Jumper wrote:Wow, sounds like you've got goblins weeing in the water up there in North Essex. Watch out for the green ones, they're poisonous and con you that they're saving the world. Down here in South Essex we've got foxes we can capture and send to you to go after the goblins. They're all red and probably communists, they might cost you more.

I was opining Nationally actually Jumper old chap, you ought to be on the TV with stuff like that, very good!

Hi Martin, good to meet you and all the others yesterday, what a good venue, what a good meal, what good cars, what good people! Afterwards, ruminating about our conversation on poetry, I pondered who my favourite poets were. Came to the conclusion it was any, other than Poets Laureate. Think the name should be changed to Poet Lariat and the b*****ds hanged. For enhanced dramatic effect, and for the benefit of Southern Softies, the first vowel in the asterisked word should be given the short, and Northern England, sound as in 'bat'.

Posted 29 Nov 2010, 13:58 #19 

Chartermark
Jump, me old scouse,

It was a memorable day, the cars, the setting and the people. I completely agree, about pronunciation by the way,

I do hope we meet up again - think we might need at least a complete afternoon. Has your boot lock been OK since? - mine 'per larred' first thing this morning (-5c).

At midday perfect, its one of those charming little idiosyncrasies we paid for ...

Thanks for your company,

Martin

Posted 29 Nov 2010, 21:50 #20