ZT 1.8T Instrument pack problem by ztjohn

ztjohn
Hi
I have just bought a 2002 ZT 1.8T as a project. When I bought the car the battery was flat so I have charged it up and put it on the car. When I first put it on everything was fine but yesterday (about a week after fitting the battery) the rev counter, speedo, fuel guage and temp guage do not work. The central locking will unlock from the fob but not lock, the same applies to the key in the door lock. The car locks and unlocks from the centre console button. I also have 'Er' on the climate panel and the heated rear window button does not light up. The fog light, front and rear, and the main beam tell tale lights do not illuminate when the items are turned on. I have run the diagnostics on the climate panel, no errors shown, and instrument pack, dials do not move although all warning lights illuminate. I suspect the majority of the problems are down to the instrument pack and would appreciate any comments.

Posted 17 May 2013, 13:02 #1 

Duncan
Sounds like a Kbus fault or a CAN (Bus Controller Area Network) bus fault but the instrument pack is the gateway for this. I have seen a car with odd symptoms where someone had been playing and the plugs weren't in properly. On that the speedo was coming and going. However I'd expect the self test still to work. Maybe one of the power feeds to the pack is failed? Does the odometer light up with the door open, or only when you switch on ignition?

Posted 17 May 2013, 13:49 #2 

ztjohn
I have just checked and the odometer does not light up when the door is opened. Another thing that happens is that the car unlocks all doors when the car is started.

Posted 17 May 2013, 14:42 #3 

Duncan
Hi. Check the following fuses under the glovebox:

Early fusebox:

Fuse 10, 5A
Fuse 27 5A
Fuse 17 5A. This one also appears to feed the BCU (Body Control Unit) so it's my favourite.

Later boxes:

F15, F16, F29

If it's none of these, it could be a poor connection on one of the big fuses in the underbonnet box.

Posted 17 May 2013, 14:53 #4 

ztjohn
pulled fuses 10, 27, 17 and 6 (cos it had a picture of the dials on the cover) but no joy. pulled all of the blade fuses under the bonnet and reseated them. Checked and waggled the larger fuses but still not working.

Posted 17 May 2013, 15:07 #5 

Duncan
Mmm. It is pointing to the pack, then. See if you can borrow one just to try it.

Posted 17 May 2013, 15:10 #6 

ztjohn
I've bought a new one off of ebay originally as a spare and the £37 price tag. I'll give it a go when it arrives. Fortunately the old Rover dealer is just up the road from me so a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) shouldn't be difficult.

Posted 17 May 2013, 15:37 #7