xenon lamp retrofit by tiger260 (Page 1 of 2)

tiger260
Hello all, haven't visited in a while but I've got some questions: I have a pair of mk1 xenon projectors, switch pack, a washer and pump. I'm after some kit to do it properly so need leveling sensors too. My concern is that I want to pass MOT tests! Is it all worth it? Has anyone done this? Does it need enabling with T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System)? Could I get away with just washers? Regards, Stu :-)

Posted 03 Jul 2012, 01:08 #1 

Mad-Monkey
Raistlin has done it, complete retrofit to factory standard and I did his ZCS coding. Works a charm and IMO worthwhile doing a proper job as then there are never any doubts or worries.

Posted 03 Jul 2012, 08:31 #2 

raistlin
Yes, it was done on VeeKay but I wouldn't like to say that I did it - I helped :lol:

David discovered how to reset an old LSM (Light Switch Module) which means you don't have to fork out for a new one.

You'll also need the complete headlamp wash kit and a BBUS to do the whole job.

If I can help just let me know
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 03 Jul 2012, 08:52 #3 

tiger260
Thankyou very much! So I need some level sensors, a wiring loom for them and a BBUS... Does anyone have them and is anyone prepared to fit them for a price? I'm willing to travel! :-)

Posted 03 Jul 2012, 09:20 #4 

raistlin
The wiring loom may well be in situ. If not it is a simple loom to manufacture :)

Possibly a job for a nano-meet? That way, it costs nowt, you get loads of help and you get to see how it is done :)
Paul

Posted 03 Jul 2012, 10:07 #5 

tiger260
Thankyou very much for all your advice and feedback! I've placed requests for the parts needed on various forums. Another question: is there a way of. retrofitting headlamp washers without messing about with BBUS?

Posted 03 Jul 2012, 20:46 #6 

tiger260
Update! I've found some level sensors front and rear with a little bit of wiring. How does it all wire up? As my car is a Cowley build I'm not sure it Will have any of the loom at all! Is it going to be a pig of a job?

Posted 04 Jul 2012, 08:24 #7 

raistlin
tiger260 wrote:Is it going to be a pig of a job?

No. Assuming no OEM loom. Three wires crimped to each of the sensor connectors and run through to the back of the LSM where they are crimped, IIRC to six wires already in the LSM connector block.
Paul

Posted 04 Jul 2012, 08:46 #8 

tiger260
Thankyou very much Paul! A very helpful forum indeed! So I'll be collecting said parts from.Sean tomorrow! Is there anyone that would fancy doing the job for some money?

Posted 04 Jul 2012, 19:18 #9 

Bermudan 75
We have a nano-meet in Wolves 21/22 July, might get your upgrade done for the price of a pint or pie.

Posted 04 Jul 2012, 22:44 #10 

tiger260
Thankyou very much; I'll buy curries, fish and chips and many bevvies for that! I will check my days off... Where abouts is the nano meet going to be? :-)

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 00:00 #11 

raistlin
tiger260 wrote:Thankyou very much; I'll buy curries, fish and chips and many bevvies for that! I will check my days off... Where abouts is the nano meet going to be? :-)

It will be at Four Ashes, just outside Wolverhampton. There is a thread on the forum, or you can click on the nano-meets link in my signature :)
Paul

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 07:56 #12 

tiger260
Hello all! Thankyou very much for the details; I'll be attending on the Sunday; Johnny The Fox has kindly given me a BBUS, relay and grommets for the headlamp washers. I've got everything I need for the retrofit! See you all at the nano! Regards, Stu :-)

Posted 11 Jul 2012, 12:26 #13 

Bernard
tiger260 wrote:Hello all! Thankyou very much for the details; I'll be attending on the Sunday; Johnny The Fox has kindly given me a BBUS, relay and grommets for the headlamp washers. I've got everything I need for the retrofit! See you all at the nano! Regards, Stu :-)

Have you registered your proposed attendance on the Nano-meet site yet?

http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/n ... dance.html
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 11 Jul 2012, 16:58 #14 

BingleyThe75
Sounds like a relatively long job. Would it be possible to retrofit the xenons but switch them over to the manual levelling? Because I don't have the washers etc and I don't really like the idea of cutting holes in the bumper etc.
In a cold world, it's a warm place,
Where you know that you're supposed to be.

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 01:20 #15 

raistlin
BingleyThe75 wrote:Sounds like a relatively long job. Would it be possible to retrofit the xenons but switch them over to the manual levelling? Because I don't have the washers etc and I don't really like the idea of cutting holes in the bumper etc.

They automatically default to that if you've got the manual adjuster LSM. Possibly might fall foul of the MOT regulations in the near future though.
Paul

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 05:47 #16 

JakeWilson
Have some facelift Xenons on Dads, they're manual adjust and they didn't get flagged. I think alot depends on the tester on the day though sadly.

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 07:36 #17 

raistlin
I don't think they will fail now Jake, but as I understand it, the rules will be changed in the future :)
Paul

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 08:23 #18 

JakeWilson
raistlin wrote:I don't think they will fail now Jake, but as I understand it, the rules will be changed in the future :)

Typical hey! Thanks Paul, best get hunting for the other parts then!

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 11:02 #19 

Gate Keeper
Monk wrote:Raistlin has done it, complete retrofit to factory standard and I did his ZCS coding. Works a charm and IMO worthwhile doing a proper job as then there are never any doubts or worries.

Can this coding be done using testbook 1? and if not is it essential for an MOT pass? I have the full kit, as discussed in the above components for a mark 1 xenon installation. I am keeping the original lights. Phil T4 and Messenger were not able to use a T4 on the car.

Posted 29 Aug 2012, 18:30 #20