Windscreens by PaulT

• Related topics: (no related topics)

PaulT
Left work early and travelling home the big question - M23 or A23, A23 or M23........

Last minute turned the wheel to the left and I was on the M23. Couple of minutes later a bang and a split windscreen.

Now normally perhaps not an urgent problem but late tomorrow evening off to France (nice booking on the 01:23 Shuttle from Folkestone.

No problem, phoned my insurance company windscreen helpline which turned out to be Autoglass. Gave my details - their system showed that I did not have windscreen insurance - my policy document says so.

Explained my travel arrangements but not much hope of getting it done quickly - but get your local depot to phone.

Phoned the broker to query insurance status - covered for windscreen. Put back through to Autoglass who advised that sometimes the actual insrance company actually phoning can move things on.

When they eventually phoned it was a case of taking booking for Friday (this was Wednesday, shuttle 01:23 Friday). Got the number of the depot off o them for the one near where I work. They are taking bookings for next Wednesday / Thursday!!!!!!!!!!

Phone the actual insurance company. They gave me two other companies that they deal with (big warning that if you do not use their approved company they will only pay £100). Queried if I would have to pay more than the excess - no.

Phoned one 'national' company could not tell me whether they could do the job 'the system is being upgraded'. Phoned the other one - the depot is closed will get them to call you at 08:30 Thursday!!!!!

So to Yellow pages and a local company that do deal with my insurance company. 'Haven't got the glass in stock so need to order it so would not have it until tomorrow afternoon'.

Put the phone down and then rung back - if you do not get the glass until tomorrow afternoon could you still fix it before 23:30? The reply was yes so just hoping it all works out.

So much for 24 hour service etc.

So bear in mind, if your windscreen goes you may have to wait a week to have it replaced by a large national 24 hour company.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 19:01 #1 

Bernard
When I needed a new windscreen in the V8 that I had to pay for, I found a local company could do it the next morning for £175 for a screen with rain sensor fitting.
I wonder how much they charge the insurance companies?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 22:48 #2 

PaulT
Bernard wrote:When I needed a new windscreen in the V8 that I had to pay for, I found a local company could do it the next morning for £175 for a screen with rain sensor fitting.
I wonder how much they charge the insurance companies?

I would have thought the same - not.

I will ask them what the bill is to the insurance company. Unless they do charge the company the same as doing it privately, the exception being the also get the excess.

Should have added that 2 people at Autoglass informed me that it was perfectly legal driving with a cracked windscreen even if it was across the drivers field of vision. I am sure Mr Plod or in my case Monsieur Le Plod would say 'if Autogalss say it is OK then it is'.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 05:24 #3 

MrB
Hope you get it all sorted intime Paul.

Luckily I was in no rush when I had it done on mine.

Thing is I was told I couldn't use my car for 2 hours after mine was fitted??

Anyway best of luck.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 05:38 #4 

Duncan
I think the drive time depends on the adhesive they use. Some places use a two pack, which I guess cures much faster.

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 06:51 #5 

kevin
getting my windsreen replaced today (if he turns up)
never phone me when I was told they would national 24 hour company..
had to phone my insurance again they were good got windscreen company to phone me within 10 mins, but they could not fit if for 5 days.

Posted 22 Jul 2010, 14:00 #6