Who would buy one then? by Dallas

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Dallas
The new Mini Countryman!

Saw one yesterday, Wow! looks real nice in the metal (its on Steroids me thinks).... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spdDSd3GLho

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 09:56 #1 

Tootall
Could get :censored: if i spoke my mine on these fake Mini's and the re-using of the old Longbridge model names :mad1: i remember just after B*W sold us we where under contract to build the first 20 prototypes, when the first 2 came down the line we all stood back and refused to touch them :mrgreen: then they entered the spray booths some how the paint guns where set to full flow and covered then in runs :clap:
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 11:30 #2 

andycolm
Toots Justice was catching eh? Good on you I say...

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 15:28 #3 

Bernard
Sorry to say, I quite like the new Mini. Got to be S/C though. ;)

After all it is still providing British jobs even though the profits are going elsewhere.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 16:29 #4 

Tourerfogey
Have to say I don't get the 'it's not a real MIni' arguement. If you want an original Mini then buy one.

Simple.

Please bear in mind that I am 100% correct and any statements to the contrary are futile. :D

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 18:01 #5 

Ragman
Would I buy one - no

But if others do and secure UK jobs then :thumbsup:

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 20:21 #6 

SpongeBob
I'm not sold on the looks myself but I can see the appeal for the practicality and usefulness of the type/size of car that it is. Certainly I can see a fair number of people buying these as family cars in lie of your normal VW Golf/Polo, Audi A3 and Merc A-Class offerings.

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 20:32 #7 

MrB
Saw one of these in the flesh today and it is a rather good looking little thing.

Every one I know that has one of these absolutely loves em.

Friend of mine recently traded in a Cooper for an Audi TT, top of the range one too, absolutely hates the TT and wants the Cooper back.

I know BMW stole it, but that doesn't mean it's not a good car.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 21:04 #8 

Tootall
MrB wrote:.I know BMW stole it, but that doesn't mean it's not a good car.

Remember its DNA was made at Longbridge the Germans did not have much of clue how to design/build a transverse FWD car and this was the only reason they brought the Rover Group which of course included the guys down the road at Lode Lane for all the 4x4 tech. They got all the info they wanted then jumped ship.

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 07:45 #9 

Last edited by Tootall on 19 Sep 2010, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

starbug2
bev like's the new mini :gmc: not really my thing but bev would rather have a tf :thumbsup: besides my engine is a b*w so can't ignore them :gmc:

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 08:28 #10 

Duncan
Sorry, heard enough.

The first prototypes were made well before BMW saw Rover. We were driving them round when I still worked there in early 1999.

They weren't designed at Longbridge, they were designed at Gaydon. BMW paid for that development, so 'stealing' it was not really what they did.

They didn't buy the company to get hold of the technology, transverse engine or 4x4.

Transverse engine technology was everywhere. The technology that Rover had was the old under the engine gearbox like in the Maxi, Allegro and Mini. Even they had stopped using it and were using gearboxes and final drives developed by gearbox manufacturers that BMW were free to buy like everyone elses does.

The 4x4 system was also not LR technology. The gearboxes and final drives were also sourced from third parties. And while LR 4x4s were fantastic off road, they were compromised by this on road. Don't get me wrong, they were great (I'm proud of being on the development team) but it's not what BMW wanted to put on their cars.

My understanding, and I've yet to hear a convincing argument otherwise, is that BMW wanted to expand their brand range, just like VW were very succesfully doing. Rover and Land Rover would have done that nicely, and hence the reason they were initially left with very much their own leadership. Problem is Towers and his Cronies didn't have a clue how to run a car company.

Sorry, Rant over.

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 09:38 #11 

Tootall
Nice to have a rant :mrgreen:

Duncan was you at the NEC when B*W held the large scale meetings and told us that Longbridge's future was only safe if the new deal was voting in and then we would get the new mini - sorry but after 15 yrs service and an unbroken 65yrs of family service to Longbridge i do feel that B*W helped in what happened back in 2005.

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 10:25 #12 

Duncan
Yes, I was at one of those.

I also met John Towers, and learned a lot about him and what he was about in just a few minutes.

Being involved on the Mini project in the design stages, I know some things that were going on there too. Some (In my opinion) pretty stupid management decisions.

I can understand your feelings about Longbridge, I was sad to see Canley dissapear. However, JT was not the saviour of Longbridge he made out he was.

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 10:49 #13 

Chartermark
Always makes me think what a pygmy hearse would look like somehow ...

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 14:17 #14 

MrB
Duncan

Fully understand your comments.

However, BMW did keep the Mini, and nothing else. That is why I accuse them of stealing it, although I do understand they paid for it's development etc.

I place no blame on the demise of Rover at their doors, however. It is a shame they didn't keep the company and develop it along the lines they were considering, e.g. Rover 55 etc.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 13:08 #15