White Wall Tryes For a 75/ZT by Dallas

Dallas
I have been thinking about buying new Alloy Wheels for my 75 for some time now, but cant get the idea of the American Classic look of WHITE WALL TYRES out of my head.

I think the 75's and ZT's would suite white wall tyres as of the classic look our cars have, certain colours of the 75 will obviously suite better and I for one wouldn't mind trying a set to see how they would look......

I've seen three options to try.......

Option 1, The original American White Wall Tyre from,
http://www.northhantstyres.com/American%20Classic.htm

Option 2, White Wall Tyre Rims, these rims fit between the original tyre and the wheel around the rim. They give the effect of a white wall tyre,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4X-16-WHITE-WALL-TYRE-TRIMS-WHITEWALL-VW-FORD-VAUXHALL-/260615855126?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item3cadea5c16

Option 3, White Tyre Wall Piant, bit of a mess I can imagine,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5L-WHITE-TYRE-WALL-PAINT-/120339983028?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item1c04d26ab4

What does everybody think? would anyone else consider the white wall tyre and please feel free in trying it first so I can see what it looks like. :D

(Could always do a PhotoShop).... :lol:

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 09:11 #1 

Mad-Monkey
Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I think it would be far too odd, but each to their own, its personal taste.

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 11:08 #2 

Tourerfogey
White walls can look very smart - but only on the right car and I don't really think the 75 / ZT is one of them but then again much also depends upon body colour.

As for your options:

1) Have no experience of this but probably the best way to go.

2) The White wall flaps I've seen (the ones that fit between the rim and the tyre) often seem to crinkle and warp and therefore look awful. I've also heard that in some cases it is necessary to fit inner tubes in order to stop the tyre slowly deflating as they don't seal well.

3) Good old Whitewall tyre paint - I remember using this years ago on a Morris Minor - looked good for about a week until it discoloured and started to flake.

As an alternative, have you thought about just picking out the lettering on the trye in white - special 'pens' are available to do this. Not quite sure how it would look on a 75 / ZT though - especially if you highlighted the 'REMOULD' :)

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 12:04 #3 

Dallas
I think the white rim wall would look really nice as it gives a real classic vintage look, the 75's give the exact same look on the body styling and would say they would really suite quite well. Obviously its down to personal taste and the color of the individual car, but most colours would suite me thinks..... :D

I have just contacted North Hants and got some quotes, surprisingly the prices are not much different to a standard non white rim tyre.....

I have the standard 15" Alloys with tyres 205/65/15 at 94V, North hants do a Enduro 706HR 205/70/15 at 96H (PRICE IS ONLY £62+vat).
http://www.northhantstyres.com/RTS%20final/2057015.htm

I've check with KOUKI TYRE Calculator and my Rolling Radius would go from 203.42 cm to 209.86 cm which means with this combination my speed will be 3.2% greater (When my speedo reads 30mph I will actually be doing 30.9mph).

The other problem would also be the speed rating from a V to H, the insurance company would not like this at all.

I'm having a play with the tyre converter and the selection of tyres North Hants currently have.... see what we can come up with

If anyone is interested in upgrading their tyrs and wheels etc, this Tyre Calculator is simply brill, I've used it on the last two upgrades I've done on my previous vehicles......

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 12:18 #4 

Last edited by Dallas on 24 Jun 2010, 21:02, edited 3 times in total.

James.uk
I like the white walls, not the silly thin line they put on the later cars, but the wide white walls looked super..

I'm not sure they would look right on some of the silly "cart wheel" spoke wheels with skinny thin tyres on, but on a proper wheel with decent tyres they look great.. :thumbsup:

Links "A" or "C" look fine, but I would give "B" a miss...

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 12:24 #5 

DeuxGazoles
I want some thin line ones for my P6............I think that would work but whitewalls on a 75 oh no no no no
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 12:43 #6 

Dallas
Tourerfogey wrote:White walls can look very smart - but only on the right car and I don't really think the 75 / ZT is one of them but then again much also depends upon body colour.

As an alternative, have you thought about just picking out the lettering on the trye in white - special 'pens' are available to do this. Not quite sure how it would look on a 75 / ZT though - especially if you highlighted the 'REMOULD' :)

I use to do this on my 4x4's with the Kumho and Marshal Tyres, I was always touching the raised lettering up on a weekly basis..... :lol:

................ I dont think the 75 would appreciate white lettering on its tyres, wont to go for the classic look :D not the sporty look...... :gmc: but then again! it might look ok, who's going to be the first......?

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 12:46 #7 

stevemac
I think the thin one's look smart on this RR

Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 13:38 #8 

baggie9
White wall tyres bring back memories,of my yellow and white Ford Consull convertable.Happy days.

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 13:51 #9 

Tourerfogey
White isn't the only colour available . . .

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 17:57 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
stevemac wrote:I think the thin one's look smart on this RR

Look smart on some others too. :)
[centre]
sideon.jpg
[/centre]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 18:14 #11 

James.uk
can't argue with that. The thin one looks great on that roller.

Mind you, Colin wanting a thin one did make me worry... ;)

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 19:47 #12 

geesmith
....must confess to having wondered what whitewalls would look like...

Tourerfogey wrote:White isn't the only colour available . . .

...also available in grey or black.. :gmc:

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 21:48 #13 

Ragman
Black sounds like a winner

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 21:55 #14 

SpongeBob
Ragman wrote:Black sounds like a winner

:lol: :gmc:

Posted 24 Jun 2010, 21:56 #15 

geesmith
What brand of kids scooters had completely white tyres and is that off topic or even more on topic? :?:

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 21:42 #16 

SpongeBob
geesmith wrote:What brand of kids scooters had completely white tyres and is that off topic or even more on topic? :?:

I can think of bicycles with all-white tyres. I had a blue BMX that had all-white tyres when I was table-high ;)

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 21:55 #17 

geesmith
On the way home tonight I realised that a 75 with white walls would be suited to having a spare wheel bracket on top of the boot lid.... just can't imagine where you would source a whitewall space saver to go on it... I should have gone to Space Savers...

...tourers would have to settle for the Walnut Woody kit from Walmart.

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 22:40 #18 

Scribbler47
:o Whitewalls on a 75 .... good lord, you'll have us all wearing twotone shoes and carrying violin cases next. (Gives a whole new meaning to "fixing the hood.") :lol:
Mike. :stirer:

Posted 03 Jul 2010, 02:43 #19