Whirring noise... by JakeWilson (Page 1 of 2)

JakeWilson
Had a call from home just now - car is making a noise it wasn't before.

Symptoms:

Whirring noise from ancillary belt area above 1000rpm

Water pump/belt area - constant noise regardless of revs above 1000rpm

Sounds like something out of synch -

just done the best part of 1000 miles down, around and back from Cornwall.

Ancillary belt looks fine, but hasn't be changed in my ownership.

Have any diesel owners had the same thing?

Thanks,

Jake

Posted 11 Aug 2010, 17:57 #1 

MrB
Does the pitch of it change with revs?

Just wondering regarding a bearing or pulley?

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 11 Aug 2010, 20:40 #2 

JakeWilson
MrB wrote:Does the pitch of it change with revs?

Just wondering regarding a bearing or pulley?

Chris

Bearing or Pulley was my thought, but once it get's to 1000rpm the sound remains the same.

J

Posted 11 Aug 2010, 21:19 #3 

SpongeBob
If it's simple to do, you might want to try removing the ancillary belt to see if the noise stops. If it doesn't then you know it's none of the ancillary components such as the air con compressor or alternator.

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 14:11 #4 

MrB
SpongeBob wrote:If it's simple to do, you might want to try removing the ancillary belt to see if the noise stops. If it doesn't then you know it's none of the ancillary components such as the air con compressor or alternator.

Or how about using each of them and checking the result.

So put demist on the screen to run the aircon and see if the noise changes - ruling out the aircon compressor

Then you could try turning the wheels from lock to lock and see if that makes a difference - am pretty sure power steering pump noise won't change with revs - it's not a clever electric one that applies different power depending on speed.

Just a thought

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 15:15 #5 

JakeWilson
Thanks for all your help on this chaps!

You can hear it just at idle, from in and outside the car.

Shall try and change the aux belt, and see if I can support the engine and check the mount.

I wonder whether it is a pulley - I pray to god it's not the water pump!

Problem is - I can't work on it this weekend because of fixing a friends car saturday and I need the garage clear for the meet on Sunday (long story!)

So unless it disapears.... looks like the nano-meet is a no-go for me.......

As im 160 miles away from the car during the week, god knows when it's going to get worked on and fixed.

Really quite disheartened, after what's been a truly steak and kidney pie week at work. Was really looking forward to getting behind the wheel after having not driven her on the road for months.

J

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 19:06 #6 

MrB
Plenty of pairs of ears around for you this weekend and plenty of grey cells too.

Hoping it's nothing too serious.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 21:42 #7 

DeuxGazoles
Hmmmm I'm now in long distance diagnostic mode but struggling to come up with an answer........................is it definitely from the belt end of the engine???
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 20:29 #8 

JakeWilson
Definitely the belt end of the engine. I'm back up where the car is this weekend and we've noticed a grease explosion near a pulley, so wonder if a bearing in a pulley arm has gone :-(

Will have another look tomorrow in daylight, after making my signs for the meet on Sunday!

Thanks again all for the support and help!

J

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 20:41 #9 

DeuxGazoles
Thing is if it was a belt pulley the noise would tend to alter with the revs :confused: it's tricky not being able to listen to it :gmc:

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 20:44 #10 

JakeWilson
Thanks for your help on it! It's certainly appreciated!

(noticed on your profile that you have a p6 - I wish I had known at east kirkby as my dad adores them!)

J

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 23:03 #11 

Zeb
I can have a look-see Sunday for you Jake? My betting is the alternator....but then, just seen mention of a grease explosion? Hmmmm....need to have a look...

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 23:36 #12 

JakeWilson
I bet you it could.... partic if the battery has been going flat with the double din......

You sir, are a genius!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 23:40 #13 

Zeb
Who changed the oil on the car last time? :?

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 23:52 #14 

JakeWilson
Garage did it at 84k to keep the stamps up and dad did it before they took it to Cornwall...

J

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 23:53 #15 

Zeb
JakeWilson wrote:Garage did it at 84k to keep the stamps up and dad did it before they took it to Cornwall...

J

Possibly, oil has been allowed to drip down onto the alternator....with associated consequences..... :(

I have one for a 1.8...not sure if they are the same though?

Talk tomoz...

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 23:55 #16 

JakeWilson
Possible indeed!

Speak tomorrow!

J

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 00:00 #17 

DeuxGazoles
JakeWilson wrote:Thanks for your help on it! It's certainly appreciated!

(noticed on your profile that you have a p6 - I wish I had known at east kirkby as my dad adores them!)

J

My P6 isn't very adorable :gmc:

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 08:04 #18 

DeuxGazoles
Oh by the way firstly I hope it's not your alternator (real pig of a job) & secondly a 1.8 one won't fit a diesel :( When you get round to it be very careful removing the belt as the tensioner is awkward & quite a strong spring so just watch those fingers ;) (not joking)

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 08:08 #19 

Zeb
DeuxGazoles wrote:Oh by the way firstly I hope it's not your alternator (real pig of a job) & secondly a 1.8 one won't fit a diesel :( When you get round to it be very careful removing the belt as the tensioner is awkward & quite a strong spring so just watch those fingers ;) (not joking)

Quite correct...Checked this morning....1.8 alternator is exclusive to the 1.8... :(

Posted 14 Aug 2010, 08:11 #20