Whereof one cannot speak... by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
Thereof one must remain silent. So said Ludwig Witgenstein.

Clearly Rupert Lipton doesn't subscribe to this philosophy because he's talking through his hat here :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10887161/Maximum-motorway-speeding-fine-set-to-rocket-to-10000.html

No wonder mis-information proliferates, with pundits like this bloke espousing nonsense.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 Jun 2014, 07:08 #1 

Last edited by raistlin on 10 Jun 2014, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
After reading all that scaremongering, the last paragraph speaks a little of the truth of the matter. That is if there is any truth in it at all. "The changes could come into force relatively quickly after they have been debated and approved by Parliament"......... If ever.

Posted 10 Jun 2014, 09:53 #2 

raistlin
Whether it becomes Statute or not Mick, that clown Lipton continues to foster the idea that Magistrates can hand down draconian fines at the drop of a hat.

In the real (ie not sensational journalism) world, Magistrates are very attuned to the finances of any defendant before them.

Indeed, if the Bench believes that the defendant had a genuine but incorrect belief that he had a case, they would tend to make the fine the same as the fixed penalty.

Even if the defendant is seen to be vexatious, any fine would have to be justified with regard to the means of the defendant.

The thought of handing down a £10 000 fine for a speeding offence is absurd, but that is only because I have the appropriate experience. Clowns like Lipton, who ought to know better or ought to have researched their comments before making them, reinforce the notion that Court proceedings in the Criminal court are a whimsical lottery.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 Jun 2014, 12:12 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Agreed. I appreciate fully that magistrates use their common sense along with guidelines when deciding on appropriate punishment. BTW I know two other magistrates, clients when I was still in Mac business, you all seem to be of similar opinion.

Posted 10 Jun 2014, 12:23 #4