What the hell is that thing? by calibrax

• Related topics: (no related topics)

calibrax
Dunno what the hell it is, but it's at Chatham Maritime and I thought it would make a nice backdrop for the car :)

Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 15:23 #1 

Martin
AH HA thats were I left the super charger for me car thaks for spotting it :lol:
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 15:30 #2 

zojosc
Its not an ancient form of smoking oven is it Steve? :)
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 15:54 #3 

calibrax
zojosc wrote:Its not an ancient form of smoking oven is it Steve? :)

You mean a K-series? :lol: ;)
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 18:07 #4 

1gp
that looks mint in black , going out to buy about 200 black spray cans and do mine.....

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 18:46 #5 

Duncan
Interesting device. At first I thought it was a collection of random parts made to look like something as a piece of art. However, reconsidering, I reckon it's some kind of power hammer or punch. Crane at the back to feed whatever in, motor on top (probably added later in place of a belt drive) to drive the flywheels which have some good old weight, and what look like jaws right at the front.

Is there a prize?

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 19:39 #6 

calibrax
Duncan wrote:Interesting device. At first I thought it was a collection of random parts made to look like something as a piece of art. However, reconsidering, I reckon it's some kind of power hammer or punch. Crane at the back to feed whatever in, motor on top (probably added later in place of a belt drive) to drive the flywheels which have some good old weight, and what look like jaws right at the front.

Is there a prize?

No prize, but there was some kind of plate riveted to it which was hard to read (as it had been painted the same blue colour as the rest of it), but I believe it did mention something about punching holes. So, good call!
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 19:53 #7 

calibrax
1gp wrote:that looks mint in black , going out to buy about 200 black spray cans and do mine.....

Like all black cars, it looks great when it's clean. Which means for about 1 day after you wash it. Otherwise, it shows every bit of dirt!
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 19:55 #8 

Duncan
Yes, my second car was black, and I swore never to buy another black one. Mind you, I still have that one twenty five years later.

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 20:03 #9 

DeuxGazoles
I reckon it's for putting rivet holes in steel sheets for making ship's hulls with
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 20:58 #10 

Bernard
DeuxGazoles wrote:I reckon it's for putting rivet holes in steel sheets for making ship's hulls with

I was about to post 'riveter' but not necessarily ships. 8-)
That sure looks like riveting jaws on the front.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 21:01 #11 

DeuxGazoles
Bernard wrote:I was about to post 'riveter' but not necessarily ships. 8-)

Just with it being where it is that made me think that :confused: pure guess work
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 21:04 #12 

Bernard
DeuxGazoles wrote:
Bernard wrote:I was about to post 'riveter' but not necessarily ships. 8-)

Just with it being where it is that made me think that :confused: pure guess work

Ah! I hadn't registered its location. Good thinking. 8-)
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 21:17 #13 

1gp
its even got some good lighting on the top , way ahead of its time for its day. ;)

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:46 #14 

James.uk
It's actually an oggle oggle maker. Normally sited on quayside's. the way they work is-- Boxes are loaded into it and a series of small holes are then punched into them in rows, then the completed boxes, called ogglers, are carried to the end of the arm, which then swings out so the boxes can be dropped into the water where they can clearly be heard going ogleogleogleogleogle as they sink slowly out of sight.....
:D :lol: ..

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:59 #15 

geesmith
James is correct. The oggle maker was first introduced to ensure that wasted tea ended up in British waters following the debacle at Boston.
A 'debacle' is the American version of this machine.

The first piccy with your gleaming motor reflecting the wondrous device is the better pic. :) (you knew that already didn't you)
Nothing is more impressive than a highly polished black one.....

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 08:08 #16