What should I do about this? by Bernard

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Bernard
My wife received in the post this morning a letter from the hospital to inform her of an admission for a procedure.

However, the window of the envelope for the address shows only part of the address but enough of the first few lines of the letter to clearly read in heavy type of the procedure itself. This means that what she would expect as confidential and very personal information has been read by all who handled the letter.

She is hopping mad about it as the postmen around here are a great source of gossip to all.

I have photographed the envelope but not yet opened it but I don't know how to handle this to get more than just an apology for my wife because that will not be enough for her.

It's all a bit rich when the same people will not even tell me what is going on.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 11:31 #1 

stevemac
I would send a letter of complaint to the hospital administrator. Their procedures, not to mention their stationery, needs review. Not much else you can do really.
Hope it all goes well.
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 11:46 #2 

scooterchick
Don't go to the hospital, they'll just fob you off. Go to Jeremy Hunt, secretary of state for health. Cabinet ministers take direct complaints VERY seriously. I'm PA to a senior civil servant (different department) and if the secretary of state receives a complaint directly from a member of the public, the proverbial hits the fan!

http://www.dh.gov.uk/health/category/mi ... eremyhunt/

You describe a serious breach of patient confidentiality and that needs addressing. Let us know how you get on.

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 11:59 #3 

Jumper
With respect, forget the hospital admin. They have a job to do, a large part of which is goalkeeper. Well-meaning people, but in instances like this they will protect themselves from senior admonition.

Careless administration such as this is outrageous in the effect it may have. They see medical conditions all day long and are desensitised to implications. This is not the fault of an individual but of a system that facilitates it. As one might guess, I have had some experience of this as a patient and was not best pleased when a previously uncommunicative neighbour, shouting across the street, asked after my progress.

Send a photo of the envelope containing the letter to the Secretary of State for Health by
recorded delivery with a suitable demand for explanation. May take longer, but think of the rocket that might just change things for the better for everyone.

Beat me to it!

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 12:18 #4 

Tourerfogey
I have photographed the envelope but not yet opened it but I don't know how to handle this to get more than just an apology for my wife because that will not be enough for her.

Other than an apology, what would she like?

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 18:43 #5 

stevemac
Seriously Bernard, I don't think taking this too far up the line will do anybody any good. IMHO
Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 19:23 #6 

starbug2
hope you get it sorted

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 20:12 #7 

scooterchick
stevemac wrote:Seriously Bernard, I don't think taking this too far up the line will do anybody any good. IMHO

Why?

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 23:51 #8 

stevemac
Because what has happened has happened and can't be changed. Explaining the situation to the hospital's senior admin may well get future instances solved. Bashing them over the head with an mp is not the best way forward.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2
Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 12:27 #9 

Dave Goody
stevemac wrote:Seriously Bernard, I don't think taking this too far up the line will do anybody any good. IMHO

I think I agree with this, somebody folded a piece of paper wrongly, not a hanging offence in my opinion. It could just be some poor devil overworked in the NHS who gets a serious rocket or at worse loses a job. Is it worth worrying about?
I appreciate that things like this should be confidential but we all make mistakes sometimes. Dave

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 17:34 #10 

1gp
set your dog , on the postman... :shock:

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 18:21 #11