Welland Steam Fair by Bernard

Bernard
I paid a visit to the Welland Steam Fair on Saturday. This event had been postponed from the end of July due to the poor weather at that time. It must rank as one of the largest fairs of its kind in this country, absolutely huge with 100 working steam engines. Some of them set up in their original environment with working exhibits of road stone crushing and laying, cable ploughing, wood sawing and fairground rides driven by the generators of the traction engines.

What was also rather refreshing was that the elf'n'safety was not over done, with the engines running up and down the field tracks where the visitors were walking without being fenced in.

Few piccies-

There were four or five fairground organs giving a real atmosphere to the day.

Cable ploughing. I remember seeing this done for real. We were a bit behind the times out here. ooo-aargh.

Set up for sawing tree trunks into planks. The H&S aspect made even me wince a little.

Tractor pulling - this was Grey Ghost. Sorry, poor picture but I just had to include it. ;)

Even a loco on a short track that had been laid.

I don't know how many attended but I have rarely seen so many people at any event and it's a huge show ground.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 24 Sep 2012, 08:09 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Great shots of some fine pieces of engineering history. Thanks Bernard. :)

Posted 24 Sep 2012, 09:37 #2