Welding by Mad-Monkey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mad-Monkey
Could anyone give any advice to a complete beginner on welding? Or give any advice to an alternative method.

I want to make some wire shapes/sculptures, mainly out of straight pieces of wire, galvanised probably (can you weld that?) with a few pre-made circles out of the same material. Is it a matter of securing the pieces together and then tacking it together with the welder? Besides the usual safety measures is there anything I need to be aware of? Metals to avoid, or don't weld, easier to weld?

I'm only thinking of welding as I'd like to them powder coated after to finish them.

Many Thanks

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 11:44 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I'm no expert. Not even close.
I would have thought that using a galvanised material will result in the galvanising being burnt off during the welding process. As you intend to powder coat the finished article then I would say using a galvanised material would be pointless.. Just an opinion, not from experience.

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 11:51 #2 

MrDoodles
You may want to read this Link! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 12:23 #3 

Bernard
As very amateur welder myself, I would recommend sticking with uncoated mild steel. Other materials, especially when mixed can prove difficult.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 14:49 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Mick wrote:I'm no expert. Not even close.
I would have thought that using a galvanised material will result in the galvanising being burnt off during the welding process. As you intend to powder coat the finished article then I would say using a galvanised material would be pointless.. Just an opinion, not from experience.

Cheers Mick.

Bernard wrote:As very amateur welder myself, I would recommend sticking with uncoated mild steel. Other materials, especially when mixed can prove difficult.

Cheers Bernard, mild steel is easy to get hold of so that's one part of the problem sorted :)

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 15:39 #5 

Duncan
Copper coated mild steel (CCMS) is weldable. It's whats used in MIG welders and in thicker form for filler in Gas welding.

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 16:54 #6