Washer fluid and heated jets by Duncan

Duncan
There's been a few threads about washer fluid freexing and heated jets over the last few weeks.

I posted I'd not had any problems with the fluid I was using, and heated jets. I bought some more yesterday, and now I know why it's staying unfrozen.

The stuff I have been using is from Lidl. It's £5 for 5 litres, though yesterday they were selling an alternative for £1.69 for 5 litres.

The £5 stuff will not freeze down to -60C. At 50/50 with water, it will work to -20C. The cheaper stuff didn't say.

So that'll be why I didn't have any problems as I've been using the stuff neat.

Posted 16 Jan 2011, 21:08 #1 

JohnDotCom
Ditto, hadn't realised it was meant to be diluted as the one i purchased on motorway was a ready mix in a emergency situation last year (washer bottle ran dry), and did the same with next one which should Ooops have been diluted. :gmc:
Hope the paintwork is ok with it neat.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 00:08 #2 

SpongeBob
Following my "frozen nozzles" (and no, that's not a medical condition similar to a cold or flu... :gmc:) over the winter I've topped up the washer bottle with some of Halfords "extra concentrated" solutions which do rate their mixture down to -23°C. I even put quite a bit more than the recommended dose too - just to be sure ;)

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 19:08 #3 

sf8752
Wish i could get my jets to work pump ok but just get a splutter from jets

steve

Posted 18 Jan 2011, 23:29 #4 

MN190
Have you tried cleaning them with something small like a sewing needle or pin?

Posted 18 Jan 2011, 23:44 #5 

Duncan
Won't be the jets. It will be the filter in the bottle blocked with gunge. Good clean will sort it out, most likely.

Posted 19 Jan 2011, 21:55 #6 

Blue Genie
May I ask where the filter is and how to remove it. My jets have turned from great to poor with just a dribble.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 14:42 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Blue Genie wrote:May I ask where the filter is and how to remove it. My jets have turned from great to poor with just a dribble.

Release the the wheel arch liner on the off-side to gain access to the washer bottle. We do have a Know How on this. I'll put it up in the Know How Database in about ten minutes or so. It will be in the Engine and Technical section.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 14:59 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Blue Genie wrote:May I ask where the filter is and how to remove it. My jets have turned from great to poor with just a dribble.

Here you go.

viewforum.php?f=195

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 15:16 #9 

JohnDotCom
Nice one.
Had to do this a couple of times now, problem normally caused by the blue winter/alldays washer fluid.
Some makes are definitely worse than others.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 15:30 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I use plain water during the summer months which has kept the filter clean for the last 6 years.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 15:33 #11 

Duncan
Mick wrote:I use plain water during the summer months which has kept the filter clean for the last 6 years.

Yet I've only ever seen the problem on cars that use plain water in the summer. Never had it on one of mine wehere I use additive.

As JDC suggested, maybe it depends on the brand, and probably on how fast you use it. The longer it sits around the worse it will be, no matter what kind.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 16:42 #12 

MN190
Mould and other things will grow in some liquid soaps if they are stored for long enough so it woud be the same for both the ready mixed and other liquids if left in the washer bottle for log enough. Just need cold damp conditions

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 19:00 #13