Visual Basic by PaulT

• Related topics: (no related topics)

PaulT
I use VB5 to create some simple programs. Whilst it works with XP (have not tried it with 7) on closing down it comes up with an error and asks if I want to send it to Microsoft.

Little out of touch with where VB went. Anyone know what the modern equivalent is?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 27 Jul 2011, 07:20 #1 

Dave
I think the Visual Basic that sits "behind" MS Office programs like Word, Excel etc is pretty much the same, used for macro functionality

I hardly ever use Word, but use Excel and VBA within it a lot, from stuff like the below (which simply ensures that the Workbook opens displaying today's date) to very, very long and convoluted stuff!

Code: Select all
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
On Error Resume Next
ThisDay = DateValue(Date)
Range("A1").Select
T = 0
Do While ActiveCell.Offset(T, 0).Value <> ThisDay
T = T + 1
Loop
ActiveCell.Offset(T, 0).Select
End Sub

Posted 27 Jul 2011, 09:25 #2 

PaulT
Thanks Dave but I need something that I can do a bit more with.

At present I need to export data into Access and then manipulate it etc as well as write other things.

I export into Access 2000 and then have to conver it to 97 to use with VB5.

Having finished what I was writing this morning I spent a couple of minutes on the Internet and discovered VB2010 which is a free download so will give that a try.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 27 Jul 2011, 14:25 #3 

Dave
Good luck whatever you do!

I'm guessing Access will use VBA in the background? I'm no expert with this stuff, but do enjoy a good tinker, often spending hours writing code that does something I could have done manually in seconds! :D

Posted 27 Jul 2011, 15:27 #4