URGENT diesel engine required by calibrax

calibrax
Ok, I urgently need a new diesel engine. Can anyone recommend a supplier?

Garage can source one for me, but the price would be £3k plus fitting... not willing to pay that much!

HELP!!
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 16:11 #1 

starbug2
i'm sure some one will have some knowledge of places . good luck :thumbsup:

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 16:32 #2 

calibrax
As time is of the essence, I've just gone ahead and bought one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0615533926

Went for that one as it was cheap, and I was able to call the guy and discuss the engine. It's done 83k and comes with a 60 day warranty, and most importantly he can deliver it to Apple MG for Tuesday, so they can do the swap.

When they removed the head on my existing engine, there had been piston ring failure causing bore damage. I'll get more info from the mechanic next week on the likely cause. Rebuild or replace was the prognosis, with replace being the cheapest option.

The total bill including diagnostics, head removal, replacement engine cost and fitting will be a shade over £1500. And the AA will pay £475 of that (£500 less my £25 excess). Could have been a lot worse I suppose.
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 17:07 #3 

kandyman
Sorry to hear a new engine was required :(

Is it worth doing anything to the new engine before it's installed ?

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 18:41 #4 

calibrax
kandyman wrote:Sorry to hear a new engine was required :(

Is it worth doing anything to the new engine before it's installed ?

I'll have them fit a new thermostat, and I have a BMW PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) which I'll also get them to fit.
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 18:50 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Very bad luck. :(

Good score on the replacement. For such a catastrophic failure your total bill will be quite reasonable. Hope it all works out as planned. :thumbsup:

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 18:51 #6 

SpongeBob
As above - Ouch! :( Good find on the replacement engine though, let's hope the swap goes smoothly and you'll be back in the driving seat soon enough.

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 19:41 #7 

Dallas
Sorry to hear of your trouble calibrax, glad the AA warranty will have helped a bit towards its repair.......

Good on you for getting the car back on the road, most may of let it go and given up..... :thumbsup:

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 21:42 #8 

takestock
Flippin eck, very rare failure failure for the m47 engine, good luck with it :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Jan 2011, 12:24 #9 

kandyman
Did the new engine get delivered today ?

Posted 18 Jan 2011, 20:56 #10 

calibrax
kandyman wrote:Did the new engine get delivered today ?

No, slight delay, but will be delivered tomorrow.
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 18 Jan 2011, 22:34 #11 

calibrax
Ok, quick update. Visited the garage on my way home today and chatted with Martin who is working on my car (he's one of the owners of Apple MG), and also had a look at the car.

Initial tests showed no compression on 3 out of 4 cylinders. With the head off, there's no apparent damage to the head/valves etc, no apparent piston damage, but fluid poured into the cylinders disappears in about a minute. From this, the suspected cause would be bore wash from overfuelling. T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) fault codes are showing on sensors (cam, crank, temp), and the timing also seems to be slightly out, which shouldn't happen with a chain. They set the engine to TDC before they took the head off, but the pistons were slightly off TDC positions - almost like when a cambelt has jumped a tooth or two. So it's all still a bit of a mystery.

The good news is the replacement engine has arrived safely, and fitting begins tomorrow. The new engine includes everything except the starter, alternator and gearbox, so I'll have a nice box of spares (hoses, injectors, etc) to take away with me once they are done. The garage will replace all filters, fluids etc, and also fit a new OEM thermostat - nice and easy to do with the engine out of the car!

Apple MG seem very knowledgeable and I'm confident that my car is in very, very good hands. I should have my baby back early next week, and in even better condition than it was before the breakdown! :mrgreen:
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 19 Jan 2011, 20:07 #12 

JohnDotCom
Thanks for the update and hope all is soon rectified.
Keeping the old engine and a rebuild doesn't sound a bad idea either.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 19 Jan 2011, 20:10 #13 

calibrax
JohnDotCom wrote:Thanks for the update and hope all is soon rectified.
Keeping the old engine and a rebuild doesn't sound a bad idea either.

Won't be keeping it I'm afraid, have nowhere to put it. Probably have it weighed in for scrap. Pity really. :(
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 19 Jan 2011, 20:25 #14