VeeKay didn't make it... by raistlin (Page 1 of 2)

raistlin
... through the MOT today :(

Broken front spring :(

Replaced for £110 including MOT test and re-test :)

That's it for another year.

Odd thing is, I had no idea the spring was broken. There was no noise or anything.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 May 2012, 12:20 #1 

Jürgen
Oops, but at least the broken spring hadn't any more serious consequences.

Now you can enjoy another year of happy motoring, Paul.

Posted 23 May 2012, 13:17 #2 

takestock
So that will be 3 new springs VK has by the middle of next week ;) :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 23 May 2012, 13:23 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Unless it rips your tyre to shreds you'd never know. ;)

Posted 23 May 2012, 13:48 #4 

Duncan
I knew when mine went, as it started knocking. But it broke at the top, not the bottom as shreds the tyres.

Posted 23 May 2012, 14:18 #5 

scooterchick
I knew when mine went too, I came out from work and the car was slightly lopsided. To the average person they'd never have noticed the difference but to an eagle eyed obsessive owner it was as obvious as a flat tyre would be.

Posted 23 May 2012, 15:07 #6 

raistlin
Tony, my mechanic, tells me it isn't visible unless you get in with a screwdriver as it's the very lowest coil. Forgot to add, the price he quoted includes fitting new front and rear pads which I've had lying around for ages but haven't got round to fitting :lol:
Paul

Posted 23 May 2012, 16:58 #7 

raistlin
takestock wrote:So that will be 3 new springs VK has by the middle of next week ;) :D

I certainly hope so ;)
Paul

Posted 23 May 2012, 16:58 #8 

Duncan
Well, good news that it's sorted. My 45 cost something between £200 and £300. Not being cagey, just haven't seen the actual bill yet. That was fit new front pipe, supply and fit back box, fit shocks / springs and fit rear arm bushes. And of course the MOT and retest.

Posted 23 May 2012, 18:10 #9 

Zeb
Mine went through with no advisories at all.....I put it down to an owner with too much time on his hands..:D

Posted 23 May 2012, 19:06 #10 

takestock
Must be the essence of nano meet on it that wafted it through ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 23 May 2012, 19:26 #11 

Duncan
Mine was Nanomeet related too. I'd have fixed it myself, but would have had to miss the nano, and that wasn't happening!

Anyhow, Paul. Good for another year now!

Posted 23 May 2012, 19:36 #12 

Arctic
(Trader)
raistlin wrote:Tony, my mechanic, tells me it isn't visible unless you get in with a screwdriver as it's the very lowest coil. Forgot to add, the price he quoted includes fitting new front and rear pads which I've had lying around for ages but haven't got round to fitting :lol:

Would that be Tony at Liontech by any chance :)
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 May 2012, 20:37 #13 

raistlin
Arctic wrote:
raistlin wrote:Tony, my mechanic, tells me it isn't visible unless you get in with a screwdriver as it's the very lowest coil. Forgot to add, the price he quoted includes fitting new front and rear pads which I've had lying around for ages but haven't got round to fitting :lol:

Would that be Tony at Liontech by any chance :)

No Steve. Tony Tomlinson in Sherrifhales.
Paul

Posted 23 May 2012, 21:04 #14 

Bermudan 75
My MoT chappie told me that he fails numerous cars on broken springs, (including mine) he believes they are not made with the same grade of metal that they used to be made of.

Since my failure I have spotted quite a few bits of springs on the roadside, so it must be very common.

Posted 24 May 2012, 22:16 #15 

Chartermark
Found mine had collapsed overnight November '10 in a multi-storey in Norwich. Thought I'd had a puncture and only when the wheel came off was the damage (see attached) apparent. The spring must have gone just as I was going from lock to lock prior to parking and slashed the tyre!

A very lucky escape, the car had only covered 46,000 as well.

I replaced both front springs and then had coil protectors put on afterwards for peace of mind.

From memory I think they cost somthing like £8 each side, what tiny price extra therefore would they have cost to put on during manufacture?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 25 May 2012, 16:32 #16 

raistlin
VeeKay now has a new certificate - if you can call it that, for 12 months :)

I've just been examining the new style MOT "certificate", no more than a sheet of A4 paper produced from the MOT station's computer printer. In fact it now seems to be called a "receipt certificate" which i take to mean a certificate of receipt and thereby hangs a possible snag.

You see, I don't believe that the new document is in fact, a MOT certificate in the accepted sense of the word, ergo, does it need to be carried or, more importantly, produced in relation to a HO/rT1? Following on from that I'm wondering whether the attendant offence of failing to produce an MOT certificate can be charged.
Paul

Posted 28 May 2012, 17:00 #17 

PaulT
raistlin wrote:VeeKay now has a new certificate - if you can call it that, for 12 months :)

I've just been examining the new style MOT "certificate", no more than a sheet of A4 paper produced from the MOT station's computer printer. In fact it now seems to be called a "receipt certificate" which i take to mean a certificate of receipt and thereby hangs a possible snag.

You see, I don't believe that the new document is in fact, a MOT certificate in the accepted sense of the word, ergo, does it need to be carried or, more importantly, produced in relation to a HO/rT1? Following on from that I'm wondering whether the attendant offence of failing to produce an MOT certificate can be charged.

Not really required now, the same as Certificate of Insurance.

Go on line to renew RFL and it checks the data held on MOT and insurance and if in order then it is processed.

Similarly, such equipped police vehicles flag up to the officer if there is no MOT and / or insurance and / or RFL. If stopped they will also check the persons licence status via data held.

So what the testing stations now issue are not really necessary.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 29 May 2012, 22:53 #18 

MN190
PaulT wrote:So what the testing stations now issue are not really necessary.

Unless there is a computer error and for whatever reason the computer says no MOT

Posted 30 May 2012, 18:10 #19 

Duncan
I suspect if there was a computer error, they would still believe the computer and dismiss your 'certificate' as a forgery.

Posted 30 May 2012, 18:30 #20