Using a mobilephone for sat-nav by Tootall

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Tootall
I am due to renew my mobilephone contract soon and T-Mobile are offering me some deals if i stay on my same priceplan.

Offer one HTC Wildfire £30 one off payment.
Offer two LG Optimus One Navigation Edition £30 one off payment.
Offer three Nokia C6 £40 one off payment.

The LG uses Googleâ„¢ Maps Navigation which is pre-loaded while the C6 uses Ovi maps, any thoughts please.
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 17 Feb 2011, 18:58 #1 

RRobson
i recently got a HTC wildfire on 3, and the sat-nav is absolutly spot on.

the google maps stuff was already pre-loaded, and to get the navigation to work, all i had to do is download the free speaking package which is the voice that tells you where to go.
another thing i find quite usefull is if you go onto google maps, it displays your location, and constantly updates as you move.
the sat nav is also very accurate but has one major problem. it very quickly drains the battery. i wouldnt expect more than a few hours worth of navigation from a full charge...
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 17 Feb 2011, 20:40 #2 

raistlin
I use google maps on my Blackberry when in cars without GPS with a fair degree of success.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 17 Feb 2011, 21:11 #3 

James.uk
I have a Garmin uvi 200w, great sat nav, but I cant make phone calls on it.. :confused: :(

Posted 18 Feb 2011, 02:34 #4 

SpongeBob
Can't comment on sat nav choices but would echo observations on battery life. GPS will eat battery life like it's going out of fashion. I'd estimate a maximum of one hour assuming a full charge before battery life is exhausted. This is based on own experiences with iPhone. Use an in-car charger though and you'll be perfectly fine.

Posted 18 Feb 2011, 11:19 #5 

MrB
SpongeBob wrote:Can't comment on sat nav choices but would echo observations on battery life. GPS will eat battery life like it's going out of fashion. I'd estimate a maximum of one hour assuming a full charge before battery life is exhausted. This is based on own experiences with iPhone. Use an in-car charger though and you'll be perfectly fine.

Have been using TomTom on a HTC windows phone for around 6 years now and it's excellent.

Can't comment on Android phones, not sure of TomTom is available for them either, but with regards to the battery life, it does eat it up quite quickly. However most HTC phones use a mini usb port for charging and there are many holders and chargers for varying budgets out there.

Just out of interest has anybody had any issues with regard to a call coming through whilst using google maps? Used to be a problem on the older TomTom mobile apps, but not anymore.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 18 Feb 2011, 11:25 #6 

Tootall
Thanks for the replies guys - T-mobile rang me back and i am now getting the HTC Wildfire for free.
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 18 Feb 2011, 19:28 #7