Tyres by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
I will be replacing my front tyres next week, the rear tyres are only a year old. Front and rear pairs are different makes.

Is it best practice to have the same make of tyre on all four wheels?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 09:39 #1 

JakeWilson
As long as they're a matched pair on the same axle it should be OK Mike, especially as your rears are only a year old.

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 09:46 #2 

kandyman
Have a read on the MOT testers page

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 12:09 #3 

RhodieBill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 16:06 #4 

Last edited by RhodieBill on 14 Aug 2012, 19:13, edited 2 times in total.

Duncan
Advice on where to put the new tyres is still mixed. I have read in a very recent owners manual that the best tyres go on the front, for a front wheel drive model. So that's what one vehicle manufacturer reckons.

I've heard both arguments but am not any kind of expert.

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 18:26 #5 

Bermudan 75
Thank you all for your replies, will whack the new ones onto the front.

Posted 14 Aug 2012, 18:47 #6 

Wheelnut
I was just about to ask that question, will follow your advice thanks again.
Have a trip down memory lane!
On our website
http://www.pastreunited.com/.

Posted 15 Sep 2012, 07:31 #7 

RhodieBill
Rover418275 wrote:Thank you all for your replies, will whack the new ones onto the front.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but after overwhelming evidence and obvious advice, (of which you choose to ignore) you still choose to fit the new tyres to the front - personally I believe because it what you intended right from the beginning - so why oh why do you come here and ask for advice in the first place - you could have saved us all a lot of time and effort by not asking!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 15 Sep 2012, 08:32 #8 

Jürgen
Rover418275 wrote:Thank you all for your replies, will whack the new ones onto the front.

No, Mike, you shouldn't do this. It would be ok as long as the wear level isn't much different, but I don't recommend doing it.

The rear tyres are the important ones, if it comes to keep the car on track. If the front tyres are loosing contact on a wet road, the car will just go on straight, until the speed is reduced. But if the rear tyres are loosing contact first, the car is prone to spin and it won't be easy to regain control. That's what I learned during a professional driving instruction.

Posted 17 Sep 2012, 12:29 #9 

Borg Warner
Jürgen wrote:

No, Mike, you shouldn't do this. It would be ok as long as the wear level isn't much different, but I don't recommend doing it.

The rear tyres are the important ones, if it comes to keep the car on track. If the front tyres are loosing contact on a wet road, the car will just go on straight, until the speed is reduced. But if the rear tyres are loosing contact first, the car is prone to spin and it won't be easy to regain control. That's what I learned during a professional driving instruction.

Obvious when you think about it. I had an absolutely appalling set of tyres on the front of my ZT. Put them on the rear in the now mistaken belief that was the better option. Have Falkens on the front now, the difference is stunning feels like it's on rails - wet or dry.

Posted 17 Sep 2012, 13:17 #10