Tracker Woes by rovernut

• Related topics: (no related topics)

rovernut
My daughter has just had her M3 stolen from the garage at home (Burglary and keys used).

The family were away from home in their other car when this happened and the tracker company were informed many hours later due to no-one knowing of the theft. They found the signal and went to retrieve the vehicle only to find no car just the tracker unit.
Obviously not too difficult to locate these gismos so what's the point? Insurance companies make you fit them and also charge you a hefty premium.

Chris

Posted 14 Jul 2011, 18:08 #1 

Duncan
With some, theres a separate driver card. If the card isn't in the car, and it is driven away with the keys, it will send a silent alert to the company.

80% of cars these days are stolen by stealing the keys first, so I was told recently.

Installations vary a lot. Some are easy to find, some are reallly hard, and well protected with metal covers and security bolts.

Sorry to say, but the car is probably in a container by now, alongside other similar cars and 4x4s.

Posted 14 Jul 2011, 18:14 #2 

PaulT
I presume that sme bent techie minds have built a device to detect tracking devices so they can get rid of them.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 Jul 2011, 19:09 #3 

Mad-Monkey
A lot of trackers use GSM to send co-ordinates so mobile phone blockers can be utilised to prolong the removal without detection.

Posted 14 Jul 2011, 20:19 #4 

Duncan
PaulT wrote:I presume that sme bent techie minds have built a device to detect tracking devices so they can get rid of them.

Not heard of those. If they suspect an unidentified device they will usually leave the car in a street and see if anyone turns up.

Monk wrote:A lot of trackers use GSM to send co-ordinates so mobile phone blockers can be utilised to prolong the removal without detection.

There are now significant numbers of GSM and GPS blockers around, and I've heard rumours there are VHF blockers to (to defeat the non GSM phone type). I understand these are also used when hijacking lorries for their loads, as they nearly always have tracking systems these days.

Posted 15 Jul 2011, 14:22 #5 

rovernut
I suggested she replaces the M3 with a top spec ZT and loads o money but she gave me a strange look.

Posted 17 Jul 2011, 09:35 #6